• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef Cheeks

Pam R

I have a number of beef cheeks that I and some customers want to use for an upcoming holiday. I've been served braised cheeks before and they were wonderful, but have no idea what the chef did with them.

We're having an argument here about whether they're tough and must be braised or if they are tender and can be cooked in other ways.

Any good recipes?

I've never cooked them, but I've been served them several times, and I find the braised versions to be the most appealing. I'd recently had them grilled, but the texture was very odd, so I think the low, slow, break down the collagen thing is the way to go.

I'd like to hear about successful recipes/techniques too...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Beef cheeks work wonderfully in Boeuf Bourguignon (which I make sans bacon). Amazing texture and flavor, and the sauce gets great body from the collagen breakdown. Great party dish because it's best made ahead of time.

I can't imagine them cooked in any way other than slowly and lowly :wink: , but would be interested to hear if there's other successful ways to make them. It's one of my favorite cuts....

braise until tender then shred them up and simmer in chile colorado ..home made red chile sauce..mild or spicy ....

just so happens I am making this today

fanfreakingtastic on warm corn tortillas ...very comforting autumnal goodness

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

• 1 month later...

I have beef cheek chili cooking at the moment, the first thing I've made with beef cheeks. I'm hoping for a chili that's really beefy to stand up to the amount of spice, and so far it looks like I'm going to get it. The cheeks simmered in stock in the crockpot overnight (I'm new to crockpots too), and now I've added chopped sirloin steak tips, the chili seasonings, and a can of Ro-Tel tomatoes.

(Why am I making this the day before Thanksgiving? So that it'll rest in the fridge and let the flavors develop, and then there'll be easy-to-reheat leftovers that aren't turkey or turkey-related.)

Toufas -- what makes it your choice for braising? Does it have a beefier flavour?

I'm planning on making a batch of beet borscht next week and I think a few cheeks would be a good addition.