• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Houston - Openings, closings, changes

brucesw

I thought we could use a topic like this for Houston. A couple of notes from the Chronicle's Dining section this week - Scott Tycer's newest and the re-opening of Kahn's in the Village next week.

Kahn's will be open for breakfast and in the evening for wine and tapas according to the story but the website shows a menu only for breakfast and lunch.

• 3 weeks later...

Max's Wine Dive has made some drastic changes to their menu, offering some oddities such as Bangers, Chicken and Dumplings, Udon, Wild Boar Pasta . . . check it out for your self:

http://www.maxswinedive.com/menus/dinner.php

It's sort of an odd mix, but intriguing.

Jonathan Jones is making some changes at Beavers as well. They are offering some new items on the Sunday Brunch menu, including a couple of new "mary's" as in the Squealing Mary, made with Bacon infused vodka, with bacon salt on the rim, with a bacon garnish, and then there is Beaver Mary, bruised celery, garlic, wasabi & ex-wife hot sauce. Also new is a Chorizo & Gulf Shrimp SOS,

Homemade Texas toast and two fried eggs topped with wild caught Gulf shrimp, homemade Duroc pork chorizo, shiitake mushrooms, and cream. I was lucky enough to be with a group that got to have a sample of this dish before it made it onto the menu and it was very good. The website isn't showing all of the changes. The only way you find out about them is if you get on the email list or go hang out with Chef JJ.

Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Feast has made some changes to their menu as well. They have some fixed "Feast Favorites" that are offered on a daily basis, while still having some dishes that change daily. They also are offering a less expensive lunch menu with 2 courses for $12.95 or 3 courses for $15.95. A new Roast Beef dinner is being presented on a Sunday once a month. You have a choice of the roast beef or a fish pie. Check it out:

http://feasthouston.googlepages.com/home

Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

I attended a cooking class (Central Market) given by Jaime Zelko, formerly of the Lancaster Hotel, and soon to open her own place in the Heights. Zelko Bistro should have been open by Christmas, but Hurricane Ike has pushed back her plans, and she isn't sure now - hopefully by Feb. She was and entertaining presenter and the food was really nice. It will be a small place with a cozy, first name, open kitchen atmosphere. I'm looking forward to her opening.

Stop Family Violence

The Press had a blurb this week about a new Vallone restaurant going into one of the spaces in the River Oaks Center that Weingarten demolished. OT: I wonder how many River Oaks socialites and preservationists will boycott it as threated for anything going in if the historic center was razed?

• 1 month later...

Spotted today, Fritanga Nica, on Synott just north of Bissonnet, where the small Brazilian home-style buffet Cariocas was.

Just googling on the term fritanga I came up with this from the LA Times so I am guessing the new place is Nicaraguan and will be our first, so far as I know.

It was open for business; I'm gong to try to get over there in the next few days.

Edited by brucesw (log)