• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Renting a Commercial Kitchen

Desiderio

I don't

want start another topic, cause I am sure there are other on the subject. Anyway I was wondring about leaving your stuff in the kitchen you rent, I only have one melter (pathetic I know ) and I like to experiment at home, I don't care about paying 100 box a day for my own experimentations. I think I am going to leave some extras like bowls, spatulas, etc etc but I might bring back and forward my melter. By the way in the kitchen I am renting (its a bakery now ) there is another lady that makes chocolates LOL! And she has the same melter I have. sometimes I feel I want to go ahead and ask for a business loan and get my own place and real equipment, does anyone else feel this way? I mean when you make thousands of chocolates with one melter and couple of spatulas and no helpers whatsoever, you start to feel inadequate!! Well I got to vent, thank you

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

I so understand what you are say Desiderio.

It is really a pain to have to have to work in a rented space and not have your own place.

Experimenting turns out to be more expensive and spontaneity of creation is hard to achieve.

I experiment at home where temperature conditions aren't optimum and use the rented space when I have orders to fill.

I love working with chocolate and I too dream of my own space.

I also want to say that your chocolates are most beautiful.

Carol

I do what Carol does and experiment at home, saving the kitchen for real orders. Usually I'm doing small enough quantities at home that I don't even bother with my melter, but I have been known to move it back and forth (and some other equipment that I don't have duplicates of, like my Thermapen digital thermometer). I leave all my big stuff at the kitchen, though (compressor, vibrating table, most of my molds, etc).

For me, when I think about all the work and overhead that would be involved in getting my own space, I'm quite happy to continue with my rented kitchen. But I'm lucky that it's owned by a couple of great women that are fabulous to work with. And that my financial arrangement with them means I can take small orders as easily as large ones.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I don't

want start another topic, cause I am sure there are other on the subject. Anyway I was wondring about leaving your stuff in the kitchen you rent, I only have one melter (pathetic I know ) and I like to experiment at home, I don't care about paying 100 box a day for my own experimentations. I  think I am going to leave some extras like bowls, spatulas, etc etc but I might bring back and forward my melter. By the way in the kitchen I am renting (its a bakery now ) there is another lady that makes chocolates LOL! And she has the same melter I have. sometimes I feel I want to go ahead and ask for a business loan and get my own place and real equipment, does anyone else feel this way? I mean when you make thousands of chocolates with one melter and couple of spatulas and no helpers whatsoever, you start to feel inadequate!! Well I got to vent, thank you

Have you checked into Colorado's cottage Food rule? I'm not sure what they call it, but you have one. You can make candy in your home with a home kitchen. You have to be inspected and have all your permits, but you don't need a commercial kitchen. Utah and Colorado are 2 states that I know have it.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Ruth I will check it out, I am pretty sure I need a commercial kitchen, I have rearch a lot to see if I could do it at home, but in order to do it you will need a commecial kitchen in your house that has an independent entrance. We thougt about doing in the basement, my husband set a second kitchen for me to work on, we need to open a door on the side and build a stair case so they can come to inspect the kitchen without entering the private home. Also everything has to be commercial grade etc etc. The expenses would be too high and not worth for re sell purpose .

Vanessa