• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Innovative Food Storage

moosnsqrl

I searched through 5 pages of threads on "storage" but not finding what I am looking for.

I have a Food Saver and that's all well and good but the bane of my existence is tupper-like ware.

Criteria:

stackable, collapsible or otherwise storage-friendly (ditto the lids) - hence square better than round

microwave/freezer/dishwasher (top rack) safe

air/water tight (not prone to spill, providing reasonable shelf-life for contents)

available in a variety of sizes - bonus if the same lids fit multiple capacity containers

Does anyone have anything they're especially impressed with or, conversely, anything to be avoided at all cost?

TIA.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I haven't tried these, yet, but I'd like to buy these Rubbermaid containers with lids that click on.

I've had some Rubbermaid containers similar to those... one type is excellent, and the other is not watertight. At all. As in, don't fill it with salad dressing and put it in your bag. My advice is to get one and try it...and go from there.

I like Pyrex storage containers (you can find sets on sale pretty often on Amazon for 50% off). They have square-ish or round shapes. I do stack them in the pantry, maybe 2-3 high (smaller ones). The lids are plastic, but do seal tightly. The one thing I've noticed is that food keeps longer in glass than plastic.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

So far the R-Maids look good for lunches (assuming I get the right ones, jgm) and the lock and lock look promising for general home storage.

Every time I get fed up with my "situation" and throw out all of the current babies with the bathwater, I buy into some new system (yes, I'm embarrassed to admit, I have the stack-n-store from the "as seen on TV store") and it works for a few months, but then the warts begin to show.

This is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for - keep it coming!

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Available at nearly any resturant supply is Cambro. For a catalog of products: http://cool.cambro.com/category.aspx?rrn=4

I believe that the round are better than the square in that they are water tight. However, the square work wonderfully for most uses. These two containers are the storage containers in our house.

Robert

Seattle

During your searches, you must've come across the praises of Cambro. I'm a big fan, and they meet most of your requirements: it's very stackable, modular, dishwasher safe, and the lids lock tight enough not to spill after hitting the floor (but not FoodSaver-tight, of course).

The only downside is that you are limited to just a few sizes: 2 quart is the smallest, and runs quickly up to 22 quart.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

During your searches, you must've come across the praises of Cambro.  I'm a big fan, and they meet most of your requirements:  it's very stackable, modular, dishwasher safe, and the lids lock tight enough not to spill after hitting the floor (but not FoodSaver-tight, of course). 

The only downside is that you are limited to just a few sizes:  2 quart is the smallest, and runs quickly up to 22 quart.

Yes, if they made Cambro in smaller sizes they would be the perfect solution. They are more geared to professional kitchens and sized accordingly, but if they (or someone) would do that for home use it would be great. In fact, that is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to find when I posted this. So much of the previously "professional" kitchen stuff has spawned home ware due to the popularity of food tv (writ small) I had hoped that there might be such stuff available in less-industrial dimensions.

And note to BeeZee (cute kitty, BTW) - yes, glass seems to be better at preserving. I read about some plasticware that had FDA-approved silver content that was supposed to prolong the life of food. Sounds a little dicey to me but just thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone had any experience with it.

M.F.K. Fisher