• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for Sides/Appetizers for Pizza Needed Please

jvalentino

I'm making pizza this weekend for friends, and wanted to serve something different either with it or as a first course. I've been doing green salad, and bruschetta and sometimes an antipasta platter but would really like some other more creative ideas. Advance prep is a plus. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff

What kinds of toppings on your pizzas?

I like to do things that aren't too similar or complement the other flavors.

Instead of green salad, what about a salad of shaved fennel with olives, oranges, parsley w/olive oil vinagrette? I like having something acidic, and this is good to prepare in advance.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I wouldn't do the bruscetta as a side for pizza -- it's just doubling up on the bread. (Always makes me laugh that delivery chain pizza joints sell breadsticks as a size for bready pizza, and nowadays, for dessert -- sugary doughballs!).

How about a size of broccoli rabe, sauteed in olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes and garlic (lid on for awhile to steam, then off to reduce the liquid), finished with a hit of balsamic?

Perhaps a Chopped Salad. Or for me and those wonderful ingredients, a simple Arugula with shaved Parmesan and olive oil with lemon. Something about the little bit of bitterness seems to fit with what I perceive as the sweet and savory toppings except the Greek one which I don't read as mild at all.

Robert

Seattle