• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apotheke

Nathan

think the Rose Bar with serious cocktails and you'd have exactly what they're going for. the good news is that the drinks aren't awful in the slightest. they're not great either. kind of one-note. they are doing a multitude of house infusions, house vermouths and syrups and the like. there's nothing wrong with that. in fact, to give them credit, when a young woman requested a vodka and soda they informed her that they "only have infused vodkas". same response to her followup of a rum and coke. she finally settled for wine (I guess she was really stubborn about not having a cocktail at a cocktail bar).

when I arrived with a friend on Tuesday night around 11 there were a few people waiting outside and the guy with the clipboard (who has worked at a couple other spots around town). inside is quite attractive. I thought the staff were very nice (including the doorman). when we left a little after midnight (on a Tuesday!) there were about sixty people (literally) waiting outside to get in. meanwhile the bar was mostly empty.

the thing is, if you're going to run a tight door, you're not going to get a serious cocktail crowd. it's a bit of an identity issue (I think the Randolph was trying something similar).

but for now, it really is the Rose Bar with much better drinks.

Edited by Nathan (log)

So actually I asked the reservationist about this yesterday because I'm just that cool. At first they were saying Ah-po-TEK. Now, they're saying Ah-po-TEEK. Apparently that Trummer dude goes back and forth.

It is not Ah-POTH-eh-KEY.

Both of the first two pronunciations you suggest would be within various German accents. The most "correct" pronunciation of the "e" in "tek" would be "ay", but some German-speakers would pronounce it with a hard "ee" while others would do it with more of a soft "eh". Not sure why they're leaving off the last syllable, which would normally be pronounced.

On the other hand, The people at Così persist in calling it "CO-zee" instead of "co-SEE", so it's not like there aren't places that go with the mispronunciation flow.

Here is a wav file with the correct German pronunciation..

--

Both of the first two pronunciations you suggest would be within various German accents.  The most "correct" pronunciation of the "e" in "tek" would be "ay", but some German-speakers would pronounce it with a hard "ee" while others would do it with more of a soft "eh".  Not sure why they're leaving off the last syllable, which would normally be pronounced.

On the other hand, The people at Così persist in calling it "CO-zee" instead of "co-SEE", so it's not like there aren't places that go with the mispronunciation flow.

Here is a wav file with the correct German pronunciation..

Reminds me of all the variations Mas (Farmhouse) went through...and they only have three letters!! (Note: that doesn't include punctuation variations for the second word.)

Looking at the press from afar, I have to admit I am kind of puzzled by what I've read of Apotheke.

From Trummer's assertions in the press that Absinthe can be made by steeping herbs in alcohol to the pseudo science implied by the menu there isn't a lot that doesn't put up big warning signs for me.

In fact, most of what I read reminds me of certain establishments in Northern California where the character of spirits don't seem to be trusted. They seem to think spirits must be infused with this and that or disguised with esoteric herbs to be made palatable to the modern drinker.

I mean, I'm all for innovation and esoteric herbs, but is this place the real deal? Or just a gimmick?

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Looking at the press from afar, I have to admit I am kind of puzzled by what I've read of Apotheke.

From Trummer's assertions in the press that Absinthe can be made by steeping herbs in alcohol to the pseudo science implied by the menu there isn't a lot that doesn't put up big warning signs for me.

In fact, most of what I read reminds me of certain establishments in Northern California where the character of spirits don't seem to be trusted.  They seem to think spirits must be infused with this and that or disguised with esoteric herbs to be made palatable to the modern drinker.

I mean, I'm all for innovation and esoteric herbs, but is this place the real deal?  Or just a gimmick?

its mostly a gimmick. the bartenders care though. they just have the wrong presuppositions.