• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cinc Sentits booked, now what

ellenesk

Even though I requested that my 5 star hotel make reservations for me several weeks ago, there was some foul up, and cannot get a table for next weekend. The hotel is suggesting comerc24, but reviews here have not been stellar. Looking for innovative spanish food, under 150 euro per person.

Any suggestions welcome

I'm really sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience at C24, IFS. I've booked tables for many personal friends and contacts since I've been working there as a chef de partie and, apart from the odd problem with front of house, experienced very few complaints.

I really think it's very unfair to recommend people to eat elsewhere on the basis of one bad experience. After all, I had a bad experience at Mugaritz, but I wouldn't dream of slagging the place off. All restaurants have blips from time to time - except perhaps 3* places that can afford loads of staff.

At C24, Cinc Sentits, Alkimia and other similar establishments we operate the kitchens with very small staff numbers and sometimes people are on holiday or sick. So a little patience and we'll try to do our very best for you.

I would also add "Moo" (at the OMM hotel) to the list. My last meal there was an outstanding culinary experience.

"Abac" and "El Raco/Freixa" I think are more than 150 a person.

Hisop, Coure, Semproniana, Windsor can be good options also. I am a fan of Chef Xavier Franco at Sauc.

Aidan, it is very much a matter what went wrong. It was not an execution problem because someone was ill in the kitchen (I apppreciate all your and your fellows' effort btw), it was conceptual nothing you could rescue. And, it is a one star place and given the bill I paid (including the cava offered for waiting about 1.5 hours) I expect a better experience. And, believe me I have some experience so that I am able to judge...

I had a bad experence at Mugaritz and state that this cuisine just didn't click and they had obviously a very bad day.

Maybe my expectations were too high but they were formed after reading some buzz. It is always a personal statement - everyone can make up his/her own mind. But, given one star level and the image of being modern and innovative C24 failed. So, I can recommend not to go there because it was not a one-time miss but more a systematic error. My personal opinion. Not more. I would be happy to report differently.

"Abac" and "El Raco/Freixa" I think are more than 150 a person.

I had a lovely meal at Abac a little over a year ago, and spent less than 100 Euros.

While I enjoyed Abac, Cinc Sentits, and Gaig, the meals I had were more about the ingredients than surprising/unusual technique; it depends on what the original poster meant by "innovative Spanish cuisine". I've certainly had more surprises (mostly of the pleasant variety!) at Hisop, Espai Sucre, and (yes) C24.

(Nothing wrong with ingredient-oriented cooking of course; after all I live in San Francisco and do most of my eating here.)

Bill

Hisop, Coure, Semproniana, Windsor can be good options also.

I've always enjoyed the Windsor during several trips to the city. In spite of its English sounding name, its very much in the "modern Catalan" style.

A bit formal, perhaps, and certainly not cheap (although I reckon good value). We like it there. Not been in the last 12 months so can't comment on current menus, etc.

John

John Hartley