• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Casual Catering Gig for 8 Planning

CaliPoutine

I didnt want to post a whole nother topic for my request.

I was hired to cook a dinner for 8 coming up in November. Its 40.00 a person ( thats what I'm being paid) and I buy all the groceries. I also have to do a lot of the prep/cooking at the clients house( its part of the experience they purchased)

I need some ideas for 3 course meals. No seafood!! Also, the theme is " Casual"

No foi gras or sweatbreads for these folks.

What do you have?

Comfort food?

Is pork cheap there? Start off with a squash/sweet potato type soup, progress to roast pork/pan fried pork chops, (garlic) mashed potatoes, some sort of vegetable - green beans or roast carrot/parsnip matchsticks, applesauce, and for dessert some sort of crumble cake with ice cream? Oh, or brownies. Butterscotch brownies. If somebody put that meal in front of me right now, I would clear through it like nobody's business. And it's 9:30 am where I am.

Do you need nibbles beforehand?

Some nice meaty BBQ texas ribs, twice baked potatoes, with some sort of complimentary veg - maybe a corn and red pepper saute.

First course could be a couple of appetizers - I do a really nice de Puy lentil and black olive dip that's great with greek pita triangles. Maybe a little bruchetta. Maybe a little shot of cold soup of some sort.

For dessert - let's see November - apples would be seasonal - maybe a nice tarte tatin with a home made caramel ice cream.

Comfort food...hmmm....I'm just going to list what comes to my mind in no particular order.

Mains:

Chicken and noodles with dumplings

Chicken pot pie, turkey pot pie, venison or beef pot pie

Lasagna

Spaghetti --homemade sauce and homemade meatballs

Cabbage rolls

Stuffed peppers

Cheesy soup--cheese and broccoli, cheese and beer

Potato soup in bread bowls--or broccoli cheese soup in bread bowls

Homemade pizza

Fried chicken

Sides:

Homemade macaroni and cheese ( I have a great recipe if you are willing to use Velveeta :))

Mashed taters and gravy

Creamed peas and taters

Creamed spinach

Stewed tomatoes

Buttered egg noodles with mushrooms and parsley

Salads:

Just a great Caesar salad

Desserts:

Apple dumplings

Apple pie

Fruit dipped in a fondue of caramel

Chocolate cake--the good kind with great frosting

Just thoughts :)

How casual do they really mean? If I were paying to have a chef cook a dinner party while I watched the proceedings, I'd want something that I wouldn't do myself, but might if I'd seen it demo'd. We were out for our birthday fine-dining recently ... I had a pork dish that was pulled pork and some strips of tenderloin on puff-pastry with a sauce ... I'd like to see how that was put together. It was served with a lot of mini grilled veg, including a little piece of corn on the cob. How about something with pork tenderloin or even individual beef Welllingtons which most people wouldn't try to do because of the puff pastry, but which as you know, isn't difficult. The beef might be pricey though ...

Here is the sample menu I was sent. I think it needs to be along these lines. Comfort food might be a bit too casual.

This menu comes from the Personal Chef alliance that hired me.

Grilled Calamari- Nested on a warm Mediterranean salad

2. Baby spinach salad- Fresh blueberries, Brie w/ toasted almond slices, and a strawberry banana vinaigrette

3. Honey Roasted plum tomato soup- w/ pancetta crisps, and focaccia croutons

4. Tuscan bean salad- w/ red wine vinaigrette

Entree

1.Italian influenced chicken roulade – Rolled w/ Italian proschutto, gorganzola, and roasted red peppers, and served w\ sautéed rapini and roasted potatoes.

2.Braised Lamb shank – Fall off the bone Port Braised Lamb shank w/ wild Mushroom polenta, and roasted fennel salad

3. Fortune Crusted Salmon- Fortune cookie crusted Salmon served w/ Thai spiced rice and Asian slaw

4. Sweet chilli pork tenderloin medallions – Served w/ sautéed sweet peppers in a phyllo pastry blossom

Dessert

1. Freshly made Crepes- w/ fresh berries, and a Bittersweet chocolate Ganache

2. Grilled Cherry Cheese Cake- Creamy no bake cheese cake, w/ cider grilled cherry

3. Fresh Fruit bowl- Assorted fruits and berries nested on a Gran Marnier sorbet.

4. Crunchy Banana Melt- Soft banana and white chocolate wrapped in a phyllo pastry, and drizzled w/ fresh berry coulis.

Optional Extras

1. Roasted beet and goat cheese ravioli (Vegetarian) – w/ a vanilla infused rose sauce

2. Ricotta Manicotti (Vegetarian) – Fresh Ricotta rolled in freshly made crepe, w/ organic tomato pesto

I like the rolled chicken suggestion. There's a great selection of rolled chicken breast dishes in the ATK family cookbook. I've made several of them and they are all good. Plus it is recommended that they be made ahead of time and refrigerated from a few to up to 24 hours, so that would make it easier on you at service time. I would serve with rappini if you can find it (and it's not too expensive, it is VERY expensive here), otherwise other sauteed greens. As a garnish, I would do a 1/2 stuffed tomato, run it under the broiler at the last minute. People love those. Drizzle with EVOO just before plating.

For the first course, I would like the bean salad suggested.

The desserts suggested sound a little less than decadent to me - you have many recipes for wonderful desserts and I would choose one that you know and love. (I made your black magic cake last night for the kids at the homeless shelter, they will get it tonight after work and they will love it - as does everyone who tries it!!!)

I like the rolled chicken suggestion.  There's a great selection of rolled chicken breast dishes in the ATK family cookbook.  I've made several of them and they are all good.  Plus it is recommended that they be made ahead of time and refrigerated from a few to up to 24 hours, so that would make it easier on you at service time.  I would serve with rappini if you can find it (and it's not too expensive, it is VERY expensive here), otherwise other sauteed greens.  As a garnish, I would do a 1/2 stuffed tomato, run it under the broiler at the last minute. People love those.  Drizzle with EVOO just before plating.

For the first course, I would like the bean salad suggested.

The desserts suggested sound a little less than decadent to me - you have many recipes for wonderful desserts and I would choose one that you know and love.  (I made your black magic cake last night for the kids at the homeless shelter, they will get it tonight after work and they will love it - as does everyone who tries it!!!)

The menu above was just a sample menu. I dont have to pick those, rather I need to come up with my own. Those were suggestions so I'd know what type of food they were looking for.

Here is the SAMPLE Menu I sent. I'm looking for more options as I spoke to the client yesterday and I told her I'd give her a few more choices. They dont need anything vegetarian.

Apps

1.Mushroom and goat cheese strudel made with shredded filo pastry, roasted garlic aioli

2.Pan seared scallops w/ wilted spinach, watercress and orange salad

( scallops can be omitted) or warm spinach salad w/ bacon dressing.

Butternut squash soup w/ sage, parmeasean cheese and pancetta frico.

4. Italian Caesar Salad with Polenta Croutons

Entree's

Parmesan crusted turkey scallopini w/ corn whipped mini red skin potatoes

Lemon thyme vinaigrette w/ red onion marmalade

2.Pork tenderloin medallions with dried cherries and a rosemary port pan sauce ~ served w/ whipped sweet potatoes and seasonal vegetables.

3. Chicken Cacciatore~ served with smashed parmesan potatoes and rosemary foccacia.

1.Mini Tuille of filo pastry w/ lemon curd, berries and whipped cream.

2. trio of mini desserts~ choc. Pot du creme, lemon tart and mini vanilla cherry cheesecake.

3. Black forest waffles w/ vanilla bean ice cream

4. Banana Cream Pie with Caramel Drizzles and Chocolate Sauce

1. spinach and portabella lasagna rolls w/ bechamel and marinara sauce.

2. Fall Risotto w/ wild mushrooms and late harvest tomatoes

Indian-Style Curry with Sweet Potatoes, Eggplant, Green Beans, and Chickpeas served w/ basmati rice and naan

4. pasta w/ mushroom, peas and Camembert.

Notice I stole the menu the chef served us at the cook's meeting. I thought it would work well here.

The Pork is a CI recipe( I've made it numerous times). The ceasar salad and chicken cacciatore is from Giada( its very good too).

That's more like it than "comfort food." Have you done this sort of dinner before? A little different than your seniors ... Cheers!

Yes, I've done these dinners before. I'm excited!!

I'll also be returning from NYC on Oct 30th, so if need be, I can pick up some special ingredients in NYC or Buffalo.

The menu above was just a sample menu.  I dont have to pick those, rather I need to come up with my own.  Those were suggestions so I'd know what type of food they were looking for.

Here is the SAMPLE Menu I sent.  I'm looking for more options as I spoke to the client yesterday and I told her I'd give her a few more choices.  They dont need anything vegetarian.

Apps

1.Mushroom and goat cheese strudel made with shredded filo pastry, roasted garlic aioli

2.Pan seared scallops w/  wilted spinach, watercress and orange salad

Entree's

2.Pork tenderloin medallions with dried cherries and a rosemary port pan sauce ~ served w/ whipped sweet potatoes and seasonal vegetables.

3. Chicken Cacciatore~ served with smashed parmesan potatoes and rosemary foccacia.

2. trio of mini desserts~ choc. Pot du creme, lemon tart and mini vanilla cherry cheesecake.

Indian-Style Curry with Sweet Potatoes, Eggplant, Green Beans, and Chickpeas  served w/ basmati rice and naan

Notice I stole the menu the chef served us at the cook's meeting.  I thought it would work well here. 

The Pork is a CI recipe( I've made it numerous times).  The ceasar salad and chicken cacciatore is from Giada( its very good too).

All of those sound good but I'm worried about your $40/pp cost . . . factoring your time and the cost of the ingredients, some of these sound like you'd be losing money or working for free. (I'm sure that you've done the math, though!) :laugh:

The menu above was just a sample menu.  I dont have to pick those, rather I need to come up with my own.  Those were suggestions so I'd know what type of food they were looking for.

Here is the SAMPLE Menu I sent.  I'm looking for more options as I spoke to the client yesterday and I told her I'd give her a few more choices.  They dont need anything vegetarian.

Apps

2.Pan seared scallops w/  wilted spinach, watercress and orange salad

Entree's

Indian-Style Curry with Sweet Potatoes, Eggplant, Green Beans, and Chickpeas  served w/ basmati rice and naan

Notice I stole the menu the chef served us at the cook's meeting.  I thought it would work well here. 

The Pork is a CI recipe( I've made it numerous times).  The ceasar salad and chicken cacciatore is from Giada( its very good too).

All of those sound good but I'm worried about your $40/pp cost . . . factoring your time and the cost of the ingredients, some of these sound like you'd be losing money or working for free. (I'm sure that you've done the math, though!) :laugh:

The last time I did a personal chef meal at someone's house, I made CI pan roasted chicken breasts with a sage vermouth sauce, a spinach salad w/ warm bacon dressing, mashed red skins and fresh green beans w/ pine nuts. I did the trio of desserts and a grilled thai shrimp w/ chili mayo. The salad, entree and pot du creme were all CI recipes. I think I was only paid 30.00 per person and I hired a sous chef as well. I probably only spent around 40 on food.

If these clients picked a chicken item, I'd buy that in MI. I have 4 pork tenderloins in my freezer that I only paid 2.00 for( total).

I'll totally make money on this job!!

where does one get pork tenderloins 4 for $2?

I'm friends with the butcher!! Seriously though, pork is really, really cheap here. This was a special order the store got in and I was sold a case of them( 12 packages, 2 in each pack) for 24.00.

The cheap pork you already have in stock gave me flashbacks on a great recipe from a few years ago. I think it was C@H that had pork fontina roulades. Slice the tenderloin in one inch sections, pound thin, layer of arugula and a stick of fontina. Roll up, saute and finish in the oven. Serve with a pan sauce made with white wine, butter. Serve on top of a bed of angel hair dressed with a little butter, lemon zest and toasted pine nuts...mmmmm. It's pretty to look at too.

Or you could do a snitzel with red cabbage combo. Very fall.

I'm going to get pork now. I gotta make those roulades again. Let me know if you want the recipe, I have it in my file.

I'm friends with the butcher!!  Seriously though, pork is really, really cheap here.  This was a special order the store got in and I was sold a case of them( 12 packages, 2 in each pack) for 24.00.

I've noticed that here as well. Chicken and beef are like gold, pork (fresh pork, bacon and ham are a different story) they practically pay you to take home with you.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The cheap pork you already have in stock gave me flashbacks on a great recipe from a few years ago.  I think it was C@H that had pork fontina roulades.  Slice the tenderloin in one inch sections, pound thin,  layer of arugula and a stick of fontina.  Roll up, saute and finish in the oven. Serve with a pan sauce made with white wine, butter.  Serve on top of a bed of angel hair dressed with a little butter, lemon zest and toasted pine nuts...mmmmm.  It's pretty to look at too.

Or you could do a snitzel with red cabbage combo.  Very fall.

I'm going to get pork now.  I gotta make those roulades again.  Let me know if you want the recipe, I have it in my file.

That sounds yummy. Do you remember what issue the recipe was in? I have C@H annual issues(2005, 2006 and 2007)

The cheap pork you already have in stock gave me flashbacks on a great recipe from a few years ago.  I think it was C@H that had pork fontina roulades.  Slice the tenderloin in one inch sections, pound thin,  layer of arugula and a stick of fontina.  Roll up, saute and finish in the oven. Serve with a pan sauce made with white wine, butter.  Serve on top of a bed of angel hair dressed with a little butter, lemon zest and toasted pine nuts...mmmmm.  It's pretty to look at too.

Or you could do a snitzel with red cabbage combo.  Very fall.

I'm going to get pork now.  I gotta make those roulades again.  Let me know if you want the recipe, I have it in my file.

That sounds yummy. Do you remember what issue the recipe was in? I have C@H annual issues(2005, 2006 and 2007)

It should be in Volume 10 (2006) according to their website. The recipe is called "Fontina & arugula roulades". Good luck with your dinner, it sounds like you will at least have a very good time with this.

randi

if they go with the pork great. what about chicken saltimbucco - chicken tenders(2-3 per person) mashed. top with fresh sage leaves that have been chiffonaded, prosciutto de san danielle and after cooked on both sides(about 3 minutes if you have smashed successfully) topped with a thin slice of a hearty provolone. pan sauce with flat leaf parsley and vermouth. or be decandent and go for pork saltimbucco with your pork loins.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

randi

if they go with the pork great.  what about chicken saltimbucco - chicken tenders(2-3 per person) mashed.  top with fresh sage leaves that have been chiffonaded, prosciutto de san danielle and after cooked on both sides(about 3 minutes if you have smashed successfully) topped with a thin slice of a hearty provolone.  pan sauce with flat leaf parsley and vermouth.  or be decandent and go for pork saltimbucco with your pork loins.

Thats a great idea. I have a huge sage bush outside. Thanks!!

Here are some more choices I emailed the client.

Salads

Arugula Salad with Pears, Almonds, Goat Cheese, and Dried Apricots

Roasted Pear and Beet Salad with Watercress and Blue Cheese

Arugula and Roasted Pear Salad with Walnuts and Parmesan Cheese

Spinach Salad with Mushrooms, Croutons, and Warm Lemon Dressing

Poultry

Chicken breasts with a mushroom/artichoke ragout- buttermilk mashed potatoes

Chicken Saltimbocca - chicken cutlets w/ prosciutto and sage.

Chicken Piccata~ chicken cutlets in a lemon, caper and butter sauce

Pork

Pork Roulades filled with arugula and fontina cheese-, lemon parmesean pasta

Pork Chops osso bucco

Pork Tenderloin medallions with a port dried cherry sauce

Beef

Guiness pot roast

Beef Burgundy

Dessert

Choc. bread pudding w a german choc. sauce

Brown butter apple tart tatin cake w/ whipped cream and a rum raisin sauce

• 2 weeks later...

The menu is chosen.

Arugula Salad with pears, almonds, goat cheese and dried Apricots Pork tenderloin medallions with dried cherries and a rosemary port pan sauce

Served with whipped sweet potatoes and seasonal vegetables.

Chocolate Fondue

I might throw in a little amuse or appy.

I'm going to make rosemary foccacia too.

I'm excited they picked the pork since I have 4 of them that I paid 2.00( total) for.

• 3 weeks later...

The meal is over and went really well. They were very happy and gave me so many compliments( and an 80.00 tip) and thanks. ( so different than cooking for the seniors).

I took Robin with me and she was a treasure. She helped w/ prep and did all the cleaning up( I'm not known for cleaning as I go).

I'll add some pics when I get them uploaded.