• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetable peelers

Toufas

I'd get the Rex (the one in the photo). It's sharp, extremely light (which you'll notice if you're doing a sack of spuds) and cheap. Just remember to dry the blade after use, because it can rust.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

My honest favorite is the OXO, it just works so much better than any others for me.

I was hesitant to use it when it was first given to me (I owned a number of different artsy fartsy and high faluting 'chef' peelers at the time) but once I tried it I just never had the same level of satisfaction with any other peeler. ESPECIALLY those all hard edged metal jobbers. After peeling 25# of carrots with one of those, my palm had a bruise for 3 days!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I've noticed most pros using ones like that one in the picture ... with the blade perpendicular to the handle. I've always used ones with a parallel blade, that you hold like a paring knife.

The all time champ of these is the Messermeister serrated peeler (don't fear the serrations ... they're so small they make little difference).

It's similar to the oxo but better. You can use this thing to cleanly peel a ripe tomato, or even a ripe peach. Ever since it got a couple of rave reviews it's been in stock at most cooking stores. You can pick them up retail for $6 or $7.

I've given about 10 of them as gifts.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

My honest favorite is the OXO, it just works so much better than any others for me.

yeah- I would second that. One of my housemates got me one a while ago and its worked like a charm.

Sincerely,

Dante

yeah- I would second that. One of my housemates got me one a while ago and its worked like a charm.

Sincerely,

Dante

But have you tried the Messermeister? I have both. The Messermeister mops the floor with the Oxo and costs about the same.

Notes from the underbelly

another vote for the messermeister. i used it in class this week for both tomatoes and gloriously ripe peaches, and gave one to a student who was having trouble peeling lemons for limoncello without a lot of pith remaining. she was astounded at what a great job that messermeister did. (she's making limoncello for her own wedding, so i love the thought that my peeler will play a role in that!)

be careful--them suckers is SHARP!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

forgot to add that i rater like the vertical blade as its my preference in what i use at home as well.

will try to find that messermeister on ebay as i am in the uk

edit: its way overpriced on ebay, and nothing in the uk for this :(

Edited by Toufas (log)

forgot to add that i rater like the vertical blade as its my preference in what i use at home as well.

will try to find that messermeister on ebay as i am in the uk

edit: its way overpriced on ebay, and nothing in the uk for this :(

I know Zyliss makes a similar product (serrated peeler) because it is on my wish list! They are available in the UK. Maybe if someone has owned the Zyliss they can post about it.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It's all a matter of personal preference - do you like a horizontal or a vertical bladed peeler? But why choose between the two - get one of each.

I have two favorites, one of each style. The horizontal bladed one is made by Williams Sonoma which my mother-in-law gave me as a stocking stuffer about 10 years ago and still works great. The vertical bladed one is the Messermeister peeler and is still peels wonderfully after 2+ years of use.

LB Howes