• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking With (Human) Breast Milk

Busboy

Yes, it seems that one restaurateur wants us to identify the phrase Swiss Miss with a completely different culinary delight.

The owner of the Storchen restaurant in the exclusive Winterthur resort will improve his menu with local specialities such as meat stew and various soups and sauces containing at least 75 per cent of mother's milk.

Eager to prove again that there is nothing they will not do to garner a few paragraphs of ink, PETA has lept on the bandwagon, with a modest proposal for Ben & Jerry's:

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals sent a letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, cofounders of Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., urging them to replace cow's milk they use in their ice cream products with human breast milk, according to a statement recently released by a PETA spokeswoman.

Guess we've found the answer to the old question, "How you gonna keep 'em down on the farm, not that they've seen Paree?" (Dude, I loved being in banking. But the folks have new contract with an ice cream company...."

Any taste or ethical comments?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

While I have no problems seeing women breastfeeding their babies in public or in private...

Not interested in products made this way. I don't know why. I won't go so far as to say it's creepy or anything like that, but the idea just isn't appealing. Maybe it's because of part of my background, which classifies human breast milk as "body fluids."

Or maybe I just need to get used to the idea. :blink:

Super skeevy. I will have to be knocking on deaths door before I consume human breast milk as I ceased being an infant many years ago. Aside from that I can't see a breach of ethics if someone else wants to consume it. -deep whole body shudder-

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

While I have no problems seeing women breastfeeding their babies in public or in private...

Not interested in products made this way.  I don't know why.  I won't go so far as to say it's creepy or anything like that, but the idea just isn't appealing.  Maybe it's because of part of my background, which classifies human breast milk as "body fluids."

Or maybe I just need to get used to the idea.  :blink:

edited to add: This topic somehow ties in, in my mind, with an article I read several years ago (was it in Mother Earth News?) about people who cook and eat human placentas after a birth. Just a little bit too "natural" for me.

Well, obviously PETA is saying that as a stunt. But leaving aside the ickiness (and possible disease transmission), my understanding is that human breast milk is very low in fat content, lower than most mammals' milk and certainly lower than cow milk. So even if they were serious, I don't think human milk would make very good ice cream.

Super skeevy. I will have to be knocking on deaths door before I consume human breast milk ...

The final paragraphs in John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath:

Suddenly, the boy cried, "He's [Tom Joad, on the run after killing a man who deserved it] dyin', I tell you! He's starvin' to death, I tell you."

"Hush," said Ma. She looked at Pa and Uncle John standing helplessly gazing at the sick man. She looked at Rose of Sharon [who has just lost a baby] huddled in the comfort. Ma's eyes passed Rose of Sharon's eyes, and then came back to them. And the two women looked deep into each other. The girl's breath came short and gasping.

She said, "Yes."

Ma smiled. "I knowed you would. I knowed!" She looked down at her hands, tight-locked in her lap.

Rose of Sharon whispered, "Will-will you all--go out?" The rain whisked lightly on the roof.

Ma leaned forward and with her palm she brushed the tousled hair back from her daughter's forehead, and she kissed her on the forehead. Ma got up quickly. "Come on you fellas," she called. "You come out in the tool shed."

Ruthie opened her mouth to speak. "Hush," Ma said. "Hush and git." She herded them through the door, drew the boy with her; and she closed the squeaking door.

For a minute Rose of Sharon sat still in the shivering barn. Then she hoisted her tired body up and drew the comfort about her. She moved slowly to the corner and stood looking down at the wasted face, into the wide, frightened eyes. Then slowly she lay down beside him. He shook his head slowly from side to side. Rose of Sharon loosened one side of the blanket and bared her breast. "You got to," she said. She squirmed closer and pulled his head close. "There!" she said. "There." Her hand moved behind his head and supported it. Her fingers moved gently in his hair. She looked up and across the barn, and her lips came together and smiled mysteriously.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Grapes of Wrath was the first thing I thought of -- I read it in grade ten and still haven't fully recovered from that last page.

I wouldn't go to Hooters for a slice of Mama's Cheesecake. Besides, human breast milk is a gateway food to cannibalism.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

As soon as I saw the title, I remembered an exhibit during the free opening weekend at MoMA QNS (the temporary branch from the renovation period.. I'm not sure if this was an installation at any other time).

In one of the first rooms, there was a small, 1'x1'x1' refrigerator with a glass door, and a small round of what looked like Crottin. The label said, "Cheese" or something, with materials/medium listed as "Human Breast Milk." Huh. I was somewhat fascinated by the concept, of course, but I wasn't about to break the door and steal the exhibit.

To me, it really says something when a food reminds one of a MOMA exhibit. :wacko:

Yeah, I know it's pretty much completely cultural that it make us uncomfortable, but that doesn't mean it's not a valid reaction. I'm sure the restauranteur is hoping people will swing for the sheer reason that it does shock us, and there are always eaters up for that.

The PETA letter... I don't know if I could believe it, though it's probably to provoke a reaction more than anything else. Then again, this is the same organization that's offering a $1mil prize for in vitro meat...

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Ok, in all honesty, could all parents who did sample breastmilk when their kids was still being breastfed please rise your hands?

I did.

I have to admit that I would find it weird to be served breastmilk from a stranger in a restaurant but when you think of it, we usually get it from animals.

It's interesting that the idea of human milk gives almost everyone the heebie jeebies ... even thought it's the milk we were actually intended to drink.

I admit it weirds me out too. I just don't understand why. There doesn't seem to be any logic to it--so it's from the breast of a strange woman. How is that more revolting than the breast of a strange cow or goat?

Meanwhile, most men (and a whole lot of women) have a pretty strong affinity for the breast itself. While there may be a few "udder men" out there, I have yet to hear from any (or see any fetish websites devoted to their special needs).

Where do you suppose the revulsion comes from?

Notes from the underbelly

It's interesting that the idea of human milk gives almost everyone the heebie jeebies ... even thought it's the milk we were actually intended to drink.

I admit it weirds me out too. I just don't understand why. There doesn't seem to be any logic to it--so it's from the breast of a strange woman. How is that more revolting than the breast of a strange cow or goat?

Meanwhile, most men (and a whole lot of women) have a pretty strong affinity for the breast itself. While there may be a few "udder men" out there, I have yet to hear from any (or see any fetish websites devoted to their special needs).

Where do you suppose the revulsion comes from?

Perhaps the revulsion is a result of "taking food from the mouths of babes." That is, if *you're* eating it, a child somewhere is going without. Or something along those lines.

edited to remove a redundant "the"

Edited by petite tête de chou (log)

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I was a lactation counselor for years and there are lots of people who have tried the Mommy munchies.....especially dads :)

ok so serving it is a bit over the top but ..trust me...Dads are curious and have had plenty!

I had more than one mom who made pancakes..added it to oatmeal or other... when they ran out of milk in the house

but then there is this panic call to the nurse "did I do something wrong feeding this to my family"

oh heck no!!! milk from a cow ..a goat... a person??? I dont know about selling it ..it does not wierd me out ..but then breastmilk was my bread and butter for years (so to speak!)

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

There are just way to many people out there with too much time om their hands. Mothers milk ice cream? Naw, I prefer to get mine straight from the tap thank you.

"We do not stop playing because we grow old,

we grow old because we stop playing"

There's a certain timeframe for this.

It is at some time, in my opinion, supposed to end.

weaned

dictionary results for: weaned

American Heritage Dictionary -

wean (wēn) Pronunciation Key

tr.v. weaned, wean·ing, weans

1. To accustom (the young of a mammal) to take nourishment other than by suckling.

Deep body shiver for me, as well. A glass of cow's milk is near anathema to me.

Steve

"Tell your friends all around the world, ain't no companion like a blue - eyed merle" Robert Plant

I think this thread is hysterical but maybe it is because I have a nursing (pun intended) sense of humor ...

I get shivers thinking about drinking milk at all to be perfectly honest the idea of a tall glass of milk makes me cack!

ice cream or cheese..well another story I never met a dairy product other than a glass of milk I did not like...

I just think it such a funny thread or idea or discussion... because when I close the doors and talk to couples ..it is amazing how much human milk is actually consumed... and then the worry and guilt that comes with that consumption!!! like they did something wrong by having some!!! really there is nothing nutritionally wrong or dangerous about it ..

we are all very strange...all of us in our choices!!!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

I think this thread is hysterical but maybe it is because I have a nursing (pun intended) sense of humor ...

I get shivers thinking about drinking milk at all to be perfectly honest the idea of a tall glass of milk makes me cack!

ice cream or cheese..well another story I never met a dairy product other than a glass of milk I did not like...

I just think it such a funny thread or idea or discussion... because when I close the doors and talk to couples ..it is amazing how much human milk is actually consumed... and then the worry and guilt that comes with that consumption!!! like they did something wrong by having some!!! really there is nothing nutritionally wrong or dangerous about it ..

Considering all the wet kisses and other fun body fluid exchanges that goes on among humans, I also find the repulsion to consuming breast milk a bit weird.

Considering all the wet kisses and other fun body fluid exchanges that goes on among humans, I also find the repulsion to consuming breast milk a bit weird.

Like Hummingbirdkiss, outside of a glass of milk, I've not met many "variations on the theme" that I couldn't make friends with.

And as far as "other fun body fluids" , hear hear!

"Tell your friends all around the world, ain't no companion like a blue - eyed merle" Robert Plant

I think it's the idea that this breast milk belongs to a stranger that gets me. I've never had children, hence I have never nursed. If I had succeeded in getting pregnant, I expect my husband might have had a taste. Still, that's an intimacy restricted to a very few. Some people get quite exercised over wet-nursing, which doesn't bother me at all. But adults eating the milk of other, unknown adults. Blech! :blink:

EXACTLY!!!!

I also think it is funny that it is easier for us all ...I guess to eat ass of cow than it is to drink milk of mommies!!!

there were times I wanted to nurse other people's babies when I was breastfeeding just to get them to stop crying!!!

they used to have milk banks but when I was nursing the HIV scare was in full bloom or I would have donated...

at $22/liter I could have used the money back then that is for sure and sure would have sold it ..had plenty :biggrin:

(oh god I hear your shivers through cyber space ..come on you guys eat some pretty strange stuff here!!!)

Piglet 

Any taste or ethical comments?

Thanks Busboy for the thread, I'm enjoying the responses -- how can you NOT have an opinion?

I recall Dr. Ruth (Westheimer, famous sex therapist) saying that sex is 99% brain and 1% other stuff. Same goes for food. Mario Batali could serve me larvae ravioli with floor sweepings and human cream sauce and I'd probably enjoy it if the presentation was good and the bogus description made me pine for Lombardy.

I met a lactation consultant when my kids were born. She cited anthropology studies that described how children have continued to nurse into their teenage years if it was necessary for survival. It's ironic how the ultimate food is so taboo.

Edited by Peter the eater (log)

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack