• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

sweet peanut pancakes in malaysia

Does anyone have a recipe for those street treats in Malaysia--I ate them in Terrengannu and KL--sort of pancakes, batter ladled into a mould so that the sides are paper-thin and the bottom thickish and almost creamy-doughy. The pancake itself tasted of coconut and/or rice, they were topped with peanuts and palm sugar. I was told they also made them savoury, they made them many different ways in other places, but the sweet peanut-topped tropical pancakes were delish.

all suggestions appreciated!

thanks

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

yes, yes, that is the pancake!!!! i must have been wrong about the coconut milk....and it came in many sizes, i don't remember seeing them folded like that, but cooking in that little pan is totally the thing! i'm off to click onto that recipe asap, and did i say thank you and that you're fabulous?

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

yes, yes, that is the pancake!!!! i must have been wrong about the coconut milk....and it came in many sizes, i don't remember seeing them folded like that, but cooking in that little pan is totally the thing! i'm off to click onto that recipe asap, and did i say thank you and that you're fabulous?

One of the blog entries I read said you can put coconut in them (as a topping), so maybe the one you had also had coconut?

And you're welcome!

I hope you'll let us know how it turns out. It looks like a Thai street snack I've had. It might be fun to make it at home!

Edited by prasantrin (log)

One of the blog entries I read said you can put coconut in them (as a topping), so the one you had also had coconut?

And you're welcome!

I hope you'll let us know how it turns out. It looks like a Thai street snack I've had. It might be fun to make it at home!

Khanom buang? I need to sneak out and eat more of those!

Khanom buang?  I need to sneak out and eat more of those!

Yes, those!

When my dad and I went to Thailand together, I woke up the morning after we arrived to find him gone. He returned a short time later with bags full of khanom buang and kluay tod. He missed them so much, and hadn't had them in more than 10 years, so looking for them was one of the first things he did!

Must have some, too. I like the little mini ones. Maybe next year! (Or I could just eat the Malaysian version when I'm there later this year :cool: )

• 2 weeks later...

My recipe for Apam Balik:

220g self-raising flour

50gm sugar

½t bicarbonate soda

yellow coloring

1 egg

350ml low-fat milk (or just water)

Blend egg and sugar until frothy, add water, coloring and baking soda and gradually add flour. You might want to sieve the batter if it turns out to be lumpy but it usually won't.

Put a ladle of batter in non-stick pan and brush some on to the sides so that it has crispy 'sides' - just use the ladle in a circular motion.

Cover for a while until it's bubbly/half-cooked and then sprinkle some ground peanuts, sugar, and also cream style corn if you wish.

You can make 2 versions - one is the super crispy (spread the batter thinly) and the other more pancake-y version which is thicker.

(It's almost like a pancake batter, but no oils in the batter)

You can also add sliced bananas, and nutella or even peanut butter. :laugh: Fold it in half or roll it and then cut.

It's yummy any ways!

• 1 month later...
Does anyone have a recipe for those street treats in Malaysia--I ate them in Terrengannu and KL--sort of pancakes, batter ladled into a mould so that the sides are paper-thin and the bottom thickish and almost creamy-doughy. The pancake itself tasted of coconut and/or rice, they were topped with peanuts and palm sugar. I was told they also made them savoury, they made them many different ways in other places, but the sweet peanut-topped tropical pancakes were delish.

all suggestions appreciated!

thanks

Hey, you were in Terengganu? When, where did you go, and what else did you eat? I haven't been on eGullet much for quite some time, so if I missed a trip report, please post a link.

Michael aka "Pan"