• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Divina Ristorante

Susan

Where is this place? Did it take over the old Trattoria Fresco space?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

This restaurant is about one thousand feet west of the former Trattoria Fresco on Bloomfield Avenue in Caldwell.

It was called Gastronomia and it had a take-out pizza area next to the dining area. However, about two years ago, they took out the pizza area, redecorated and made it into a higher-end restaurant. There is a bicycle store next door and it is across the street from Shop-Rite Liquors.

We haven't been there in about a year due to some dietary modifications on our part.

However, we like it very much. It is fairly standard, above-average Italian fare that is very familiar. It does not break new ground, but everything is good. The staff is friendly and helpful. I recall the chicken cacciatore to be particularly delicious and a generous serving. The pasta and sauces are very good, too.

Trattoria Fresco had more modern food, but Divina is more reassuring and consistent. It was noisy on weekends, and was crowded pre-recession. I would give it a try!