• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Staying in West Hollywood

d.hawksworth

D,

If you're staying in WeHo, you're basically near most of the good restaurants. Mind you, parking can be a bit much (about $10).

I had the tasting menu at Gordon Ramsay at the London. It was very delicious. A really nice bar, and if mixologist Vincenzo is working that night, trust him for your drinks ...

Apple Restaurant is quite new, headed up by chef Bryan Ogden, son of Bradley. I had dinner there during its opening night. The meal was fine and I enjoyed the ambience. Mind you, the two lounges (Apple Lounge & Pussycat Lounge) were not open yet. All three places have separate entrances. I plan to go back to the restaurant and see how everything works out (The dining crowd and the nightclub crowd are two different groups).

Sona is one of the finer restaurants near WeHo, in fact, in all of LA area. Comme Ca is a French brasserie owned by David Myers, who owns Sona. I really like their French onion soup.

The fourth version of Bastide with chef Paul Shoemaker (Providence alum) is pretty good. Just very good cooking, fresh ingredients, doesn't really "push the envelope" (very few LA restaurants are into that, truth be told). Bastide recently introduced an a la carte menu, along with the tasting menu. Complimentary valet parking (you read correctly).

Lucques is a great restaurant with a nice casual feel. Suzanne Goins is an excellent chef.

That's just a few places in and around West Hollywood. Mind you, I'm not too familiar with that area, compared to the rest of the LA area.

I hope this helps.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Let me just add Angelli Cafe on Melrose -- one of the all time classics, run by Evan Kleiman who was doing really good Italian food in LA before anyone knew what it was, heads up the slow food movement locally, and still continues to be great. And any number of places at the Original Farmers Market at 3rd & Fairfax. Not upscale but good and an LA Classic, must-see place. Loteria Grill and Monsieur Marcel are among my faves there. Both are technically not in WeHo but just outside.

Edited by JFLinLA (log)
So long and thanks for all the fish.