• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Appetizers that can be served on spoons

kbjesq

How about that old English favorite ham and eggs? You could mash hard boiled eggs with mayonnaise as the base and serve a slice of ham on top.

As someone said above, curry (especially Chicken Tikka Masala) is practically a national dish. Small portions of this may be a good source of variety.

Some form of smoked fish dish could echo kippers or kedgeree (flaked smoked fish, boiled rice, eggs and butter).

Slices of black pudding or english breakfast sausages would also fit the bill.

On a desert front, how about small scones with jam and thickened cream?

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I received as a gift Rick Tramonto's Amuse Bouche cookbook last Christmas, which has a chapter on Forks and Spoons.

We ended up serving one of the spoons dishes as our amuse for our New Year's Eve dinner.

It's roasted garlic rubbed on the spoon, with a chickpea salad (includes celery, carrot, red onion, roasted red pepper, chickpeas, parsley and oregano). You put the salad on top of the roasted garlic, and then top that with feta (really good tangy feta). It was a big hit. I ended up with lots of leftovers and making things simple just added the rest of the garlic and feta to the salad. It was equally as good without layering it on the spoon.

I also notice he has Truffled Lentil Spoon with Bacon Vinaigrette. This includes different colored lentils, a truffle vinaigrette and a bacon vinaigrette. Since the truffle vin. requires fresh truffles and you live in a culinary wasteland, and the price of truffles is ridiculous, I would think you can do without this. Lentils with bacons sounds great to me.

Good luck.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.