• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NancyH

Heirloom Beans by Rancho Gordo (Steve_Sando)

17 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I've just received my Instant Pot and have successfully steamed water. 😛

Now I'm thinking of doing some of the beans from the last Rancho Gordo club shipment in the Instant Pot.

Could I please have some instructions about how to long to cook them? Soak first, right?

And what to cook them with?

You can find various spreadsheets with suggested Instant Pot cooking times for Rancho Gordo beans, soaked or unsoaked.  Here is one:Rancho Gordo Bean Cooking Times.pdf

I am not a huge fan of using the IP for RG beans but it can be a timesaver.  I'd recommend going with a shorter time than indicated, then after the pressure is released, put them on sauté to simmer until they have finished cooking to your liking. 

I routinely cook most RG beans without soaking but the bigger beans do benefit from a soak for more even cooking. 

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "And what to cook them with?" but unless a recipe specifies otherwise, I add a couple of cloves of garlic, smashed, 1 bay leaf and 3 de arbol chiles to a pound of beans. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've received mine. I still have some left over from the last shipment, so I shall have to have more beans . . . many more beans . . .

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Has anyone received their bean club shipment?  I got an email on the 22nd saying they charged me for it, but I haven't gotten an email saying it's shipped.

I got that email also but haven't gotten an actual shipping notification yet.  Over on the Facebook bean club group, Steve said that they started shipping last Friday and expected that it would take them a full week to get everything shipped.  He said to hang tight until after 1/31 before  contacting them if you haven't received your shipping notice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, blue_dolphin said:

I got that email also but haven't gotten an actual shipping notification yet.  Over on the Facebook bean club group, Steve said that they started shipping last Friday and expected that it would take them a full week to get everything shipped.  He said to hang tight until after 1/31 before  contacting them if you haven't received your shipping notice. 

Ah ha!  Thank you so much for the info.  I was thinking about calling tomorrow but I'll hold off now :) .  Sigh.  You really miss out at times when you refuse to Facebook lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We got ours two days ago and I haven't even had a chance to open the box yet!

• Like 1

I got mine in NYC on Monday; but I'm now splitting the subscription with a friend, so I passed it on unopened. 

I have at least 10 pounds of beans in my cupboard as I sit here; that, combined with me wanting to throw some of my consumption/support toward my local bean growers, is why I thought it made sense to start sharing the bounty. 

Still -- sigh.  I have FOMO, bad.  According to Facebook, there is a bean in that box that I'd KILL to try. 

<deepbreaths> It's gonna be fine, just fine.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

We got ours two days ago and I haven't even had a chance to open the box yet!

Clearly you were were not the one unwrapping Christmas gifts as the parents slept! 

• Haha 6

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have yet to use one bean from the last box.

When can I come to visit with my little plastic containers?   How does last weekend of Feb sound?  I am only half kidding.  About containers, not about visiting.  Son and DIL are buying a house in Metuchen...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, chefmd said:

When can I come to visit with my little plastic containers?   How does last weekend of Feb sound?  I am only half kidding.  About containers, not about visiting.  Son and DIL are buying a house in Metuchen...

Would love to see you!  I'm scheduled to work on the 29th but I could probably get off.  Or the first should be OK.  Bring some bags.  My email tells me the beans have been delivered.  I'm afraid to open the door.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Would love to see you!  I'm scheduled to work on the 29th but I could probably get off.  Or the first should be OK.  Bring some bags.  My email tells me the beans have been delivered.  I'm afraid to open the door.

March 1st sounds great!  I will PM you once it is certain.  And please open the door:)

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2020 at 2:29 PM, Shelby said:

Has anyone received their bean club shipment?  I got an email on the 22nd saying they charged me for it, but I haven't gotten an email saying it's shipped.

Bean Club shipping update from Steve via Facebook;

Shipping Update: Due to rain this week and the best-laid plans, etc, we are running two days behind. We had hoped to have the last of the Bean Club boxes out today but shipping is working on Saturday and they tell me last of the boxes will go out on Monday. 
I am so sorry to deliver this news. I would yell at the crew packing but they are working overtime and know it wouldn't help much. 
We have a few logistical kinks to work out, clearly, and we'll have them running smoothly before the next delivery. 
Again, I apologize to those affected. I know it's a disappointment. - Steve

Me?  I’ll be happy with my beans whenever!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In recently perusing my RG bean selection in the pantry, I see I still have half a bag of hominy. This, obviously, is an indication I need to make posole. With thanks yet again to @Chris Amirault, who probably 10 years ago posted his mother-in-law's posole recipe and introduced me to that marvelous dish in the best way possible.

I also see I have a decided preference for white beans as opposed to brown ones. I do have a bag of small red beans, as well as some gen-yoo-ine Cajun andouille sausage in the freezer, against the next episode of red beans and rice,  and a bag of black ones for the next time I want to do Cuban black bean soup. Other than that, one bag of cranberry beans, one of Yellow Indian Woman, two Marcellas, a bag of cassoulet beans, and a bag of those small white ones.

Who knew I would be a bean racist. Sigh. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

8 hours ago, chefmd said:

March 1st sounds great!  I will PM you once it is certain.  And please open the door:)

"If someone is trying to do something nice for you, it's best to just let them finish.

Pretend that you burn your finger and be like, 'Oh no! My finger!  Good thing you're...a...doctor?'"

Hannah Hart, My Drunk Kitchen

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, weinoo said:

The black beans in this current shipment are beautiful to behold.

My cupboard is ready for the apocalypse.

At last count I have over thirty pounds of beans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Got email from them yesterday. Royal Corona are back in stock. Really good beans.

• Like 3

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

On 2/1/2020 at 8:45 AM, weinoo said:

The black beans in this current shipment are beautiful to behold.

This bean is specifically why I'm kicking myself for not keeping this box.  

Has anyone tried cooking Rancho Gordo Spelt (Farro Grande) in the Instant Pot?

The regular cooking method is boil for five minutes, then reduce to a simmer for 30-50 minutes, which seems like it will require planning.

I'm sorry if this is in the incorrect thread.

Joe Yonan had a nice article about beans -- an excerpt from his soon-to-be released book, actually -- in the Washington Post yesterday, in which he gives a shout-out to RG.

For far too long, beans have had something of a fusty reputation in the United States. But over the past few years, thanks partly to a growing interest in plant-based cooking and an awareness of the impacts of our dietary choices on the planet, beans have become hipper than ever. Also playing a role: the growing realization that beans have deep roots and are part of the culinary fabric of nations around the world.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

What is the black bean that's so lovely that came in the bean club order?

• Similar Content

• By Burmese Days
      Hello everyone,

This is my first post, so please tell me if I've made any mistakes. I'd like to learn the ropes as soon as possible. 

I first learned of this cookbook from The Mala Market, easily the best online source of high-quality Chinese ingredients in the west. In the About Us page, Taylor Holiday (the founder of Mala Market) talks about the cookbooks that inspired her.
      This piqued my interest and sent me down a long rabbit hole. I'm attempting to categorically share everything I've found about this book so far.

Reading it online
      Early in my search, I found an online preview (Adobe Flash required). It shows you the first 29 pages. I've found people reference an online version you can pay for on the Chinese side of the internet. But to my skills, it's been unattainable.

The Title
      Because this book was never sold in the west, the cover, and thus title, were never translated to English. Because of this, when you search for this book, it'll have several different names. These are just some versions I've found online - typos included.
      Sichuan (China) Cuisine in Both Chinese and English Si Chuan(China) Cuisinein (In English & Chinese) China Sichuan Cuisine (in Chinese and English) Chengdu China: Si Chuan Ke Xue Ji Shu Chu Ban She Si Chuan(China) Cuisinein (Chinese and English bilingual) 中国川菜:中英文标准对照版 For the sake of convenience, I'll be referring to the cookbook as Sichuan Cuisine from now on.

Versions
      There are two versions of Sichuan Cuisine. The first came out in 2010 and the second in 2014. In an interview from Flavor & Fortune, a (now defunct) Chinese cooking
      magazine, the author clarifies the differences.
      That is all of the information I could find on the differences. Nothing besides that offhanded remark. The 2014 edition seems to be harder to source and, when available, more expensive.

Author(s)

In the last section, I mentioned an interview with the author. That was somewhat incorrect. There are two authors!
      Lu Yi (卢一) President of Sichuan Tourism College, Vice Chairman of Sichuan Nutrition Society, Chairman of Sichuan Food Fermentation Society, Chairman of Sichuan Leisure Sports Management Society Du Li (杜莉) Master of Arts, Professor of Sichuan Institute of Tourism, Director of Sichuan Cultural Development Research Center, Sichuan Humanities and Social Sciences Key Research Base, Sichuan Provincial Department of Education, and member of the International Food Culture Research Association of the World Chinese Culinary Federation Along with the principal authors, two famous chefs checked the English translations.
      Fuchsia Dunlop - of Land of Plenty fame Professor Shirley Cheng - of Hyde Park New York's Culinary Institute of America Fuchsia Dunlop was actually the first (and to my knowledge, only) Western graduate from the school that produced the book.

Recipes
      Here are screenshots of the table of contents.  It has some recipes I'm a big fan of.

ISBN
      ISBN 10: 7536469640   ISBN 13: 9787536469648 As far as I can tell, the first and second edition have the same ISBN #'s. I'm no librarian, so if anyone knows more about how ISBN #'s relate to re-releases and editions, feel free to chime in.

Publisher
      Sichuan Science and Technology Press 四川科学技术出版社  
      Cover
      Okay... so this book has a lot of covers.
      The common cover A red cover A white cover A white version of the common cover An ornate and shiny cover  There may or may not be a "Box set." At first, I thought this was a difference in book editions, but that doesn't seem to be the case. As far as covers go, I'm at a loss. If anybody has more info, I'm all ears.

Buying the book
      Alright, so I've hunted down many sites that used to sell it and a few who still have it in stock. Most of them are priced exorbitantly.

AbeBooks.com ($160 + $15 shipping) Ebay.com - used ($140 + $4 shipping) PurpleCulture.net ($50 + $22 shipping) Amazon.com ($300 + $5 shipping + $19 tax) A few other sites in Chinese  
      I bought a copy off of PurpleCuture.net on April 14th. When I purchased Sichuan Cuisine, it said there was only one copy left. That seems to be a lie to create false urgency for the buyer. My order never updated past processing, but after emailing them, I was given a tracking code. It has since landed in America and is in customs. I'll try to update this thread when (if) it is delivered.

Closing thoughts
      This book is probably not worth all the effort that I've put into finding it. But what is worth effort, is preserving knowledge. It turns my gut to think that this book will never be accessible to chefs that have a passion for learning real Sichuan food. As we get inundated with awful recipes from Simple and quick blogs, it becomes vital to keep these authentic sources available. As the internet chugs along, more and more recipes like these will be lost. 

You'd expect the internet to keep information alive, but in many ways, it does the opposite. In societies search for quick and easy recipes, a type of evolutionary pressure is forming. It's a pressure that mutates recipes to simpler and simpler versions of themselves. They warp and change under consumer pressure till they're a bastardized copy of the original that anyone can cook in 15 minutes. The worse part is that these new, worse recipes wear the same name as the original recipe. Before long, it becomes harder to find the original recipe than the new one. 

In this sense, the internet hides information. 

• By TexasMBA02
      After batting about .500 with my previous approach to macarons, I came across Pierre Herme's base recipe online.  After two flawless batches of macarons, I've been re-energized to continue to work at mastering them.  Specifically, I want to try more of his recipes.  My conundrum is that he has, as far as I can tell, two macaron cookbooks and I don't know which one I should get.  I can't tell if one is just an updated version of the other or a reissue or what the differences really are.  I was hoping somebody had some insight.  I have searched online and haven't seen both books referenced in the same context or contrasted at all.

This one appears to be older.

And this one appears to be the newer of the two.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

• By K8CanCook
      Update!! --- the sale is still going on at Amazon as of Sunday (11/24) at 11:15am EST
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Did anyone note the sale price on Modernist Cuisine today (maybe yesterday)? Amazon and Target dropped the set of tomes to $379!!!

This price looks like it will change after today...so get it ASAP!!!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0982761007?pf_rd_p=183f5289-9dc0-416f-942e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=SRFCHFB5EFTGAA8AZHJX
      -or-
      https://www.target.com/p/modernist-cuisine-by-nathan-myhrvold-chris-young-maxime-bilet-hardcover/-/A-77279948
    • By Bollo
      I need a book on the application of rotavapor machine. I've searched something on web but i can't find something strictly professional for the kitchen please help me. To improve the research. 
    • By Smokeydoke
      After a delightful brunch at Koslow's Sqirl restaurant in Los Angeles, I've decided to attempt to cook through her cookbook. I'll post my results here.

Please follow along and join in, if you're so inclined. Her food is wonderful, but I will surmise that her true deliciousness comes from using the best and freshest ingredients. I'll do my best to recreate the magic I felt at Sqirl.

Here's the link to her book at Eat Your Books.