• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heirloom Beans by Rancho Gordo (Steve_Sando)

NancyH

Totally agree re RG hominy. I am about to make a traditional Posole Rojo in the next few days. I have a mix of pork butt and pork neck bones and a variety of dried red chiles. Although I have not inspected my stash, most likely there are some anchos and some guajillos. When I lived in NM my good friend's dad was the posole master. He cooked the whole thing in a 60's era crock pot (you can picture that, right?) and always served the red chile sauce at the end, to be added to each bowl to taste. I've never been able to duplicate his red chile. It was the best.

• Like 1

I have a pound of Marcellas in the IP as we speak, the centerpiece of a big pot of bean and Italian sausage soup. It's cold outside, and that sounded good.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

9 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Totally agree re RG hominy. I am about to make a traditional Posole Rojo in the next few days. I have a mix of pork butt and pork neck bones and a variety of dried red chiles. Although I have not inspected my stash, most likely there are some anchos and some guajillos.

When I lived in NM my good friend's dad was the posole master. He cooked the whole thing in a 60's era crock pot (you can picture that, right?) and always served the red chile sauce at the end, to be added to each bowl to taste. I've never been able to duplicate his red chile. It was the best.

My daughter lives in ABq...NM      completely chili driven.   

Its good to have Morels

1 hour ago, Paul Bacino said:

My daughter lives in ABq...NM      completely chili driven.   

You're lucky, you get to visit NM! Have you been in the fall during roasting season? My daughter lives in Atlanta and I don't love visiting that city. BTW, your daughter will tell you: don't spell it with an "i"--in NM it is chile! Bowl of red, bowl of green, it's all good. Although I have to admit that I can't handle it as spicy as I used to.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

You're lucky, you get to visit NM! Have you been in the fall during roasting season? My daughter lives in Atlanta and I don't love visiting that city. BTW, your daughter will tell you: don't spell it with an "i"--in NM it is chile! Bowl of red, bowl of green, it's all good. Although I have to admit that I can't handle it as spicy as I used to.  

Correct   ---wine moment    :)

YES for the fall roast  ..   We go to the Corrales area cuz They live in Rio Rancho and its not to far.  I'm making Posole today..with the hominy..  I'll shoot a pic later.  Cheers  Doc

Its good to have Morels

• 1 month later...

Stopped by Rancho Gordo store in Napa while on vacation in CA.  I got stupidly lucky to stumble upon @rancho_gordo birthday celebration.  Steve was very nice and agreed to have a photo taken with me and my newly acquired beans (rebosero, Ayocote negro, Moro, Lila).

C4276F27-61B6-4D19-919E-0CDDC80E713E.thumb.jpeg.f1b0c36b96bbda42f6ce2a0421c0c951.jpeg

13555DBE-7AEB-4F03-B6E9-A870C17F30C9.thumb.jpeg.ba05bf655ad4307e495973329dabcff9.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I just made a big pot of popcorn with the crimson popping corn that came in my Bean Club shipment. The package described it as having a "denser and moister" kernel than regular popcorn. Uh oh, I thought. Neither one of those adjectives sounds appealing to me in popcorn. I made some anyway, because I'd used up all my supply and had it on the list to buy next grocery shop. It turned out to be just fine. I didn't notice that the majority of the kernels were either moister or denser. I always flap the lid open and closed quickly while popping to let off steam while popping, and it came out fine. I did notice a higher percentage of small, not fully popped kernels, but I think some folks like those. I'm not one of those folks, so this heirloom popcorn had nothing to recommend it over regular popcorn. It certainly appeared at an opportune time for me, though, and it is tasty and crunchy.

I have the Pinto beans that also came in the shipment soaking in anticipation of cooking them tomorrow. I have a couple of pork back ribs thawing out to throw into the pot, and will make a pan of cornbread and slather it with butter. Mmmm ....

I cleaned out a big plastic file box I used to use to store cat food to store all my Bean Club stuff in. When it's thoroughly dry tomorrow, I need to put all the Rancho Gordo stuff in there.

This shipment included Cassoulet Beans. These look like dried limas a little. The first Bean Club shipment included Flageolet Beans which look almost like dried green bean seeds. I got the idea that flageolet beans were the bean to use for cassoulet from the "Joy of Cooking". It also said you could use Great Northerns. Does anyone know if there is a traditional "correct" bean used in cassoulet?

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

• 2 weeks later...

I swear, I am losing my mind.  I thought I kept the bag that these RG beans came in so I would remember what they are.  Now I can't find it!  I've looked on the RG website and I don't see them.  They are a gorgeous, big bean.

thumbnail_IMG_6966.jpg.b42f9f89f0e9eeaf7ca9250ce1fc956f.jpg

Can anyone help me?

14 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I swear, I am losing my mind.  I thought I kept the bag that these RG beans came in so I would remember what they are.  Now I can't find it!  I've looked on the RG website and I don't see them.  They are a gorgeous, big bean.

thumbnail_IMG_6966.jpg.b42f9f89f0e9eeaf7ca9250ce1fc956f.jpg

Can anyone help me?

Raquel, perhaps? I don't think of them as big, but the ones in our kitchen certainly look like yours.

Purcell Mountain Farms sells them, too. 

• Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Raquel, perhaps? I don't think of them as big, but the ones in our kitchen certainly look like yours.

Purcell Mountain Farms sells them, too. 

Yes!  Those look just like them.  Thank you so much.  I guess I meant bigger than say, a pinto bean.....

SNOWCAP BEANS.  My favorites.  They are much larger than most beans, comparable in size to the largest red kidney beans.  They vary in color from medium beige with red spots to a light mahogany with darker red spots.  They are very "meaty" in flavor. Make a great chowder/stew with a small amount of cooked pork.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

But keep in mind @Shelby said these beans were ones that came in the last bean club shipment.  The only beans in the last bean club shipment that look remotely like the picture would be Cranberry.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

39 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

But keep in mind @Shelby said these beans were ones that came in the last bean club shipment.  The only beans in the last bean club shipment that look remotely like the picture would be Cranberry.

Hell, I could be wrong.....I hate to go against Andi's word ..but mine don't have the cranberry colored spots.....I dunno.....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I think we got Raquel beans in the spring shipment last year (2018)

Any chance you could have had them that long?

Edited to add that this doesn't confirm that you aren't delusional, @Shelby, but does suggest your sense of time may be a bit off 🤣

Major chance.  Sigh.

I try to rotate to keep older up front to use....but, apparently I failed. 

They were still awesome if that counts lol.

• Like 1

I found my last order from Rancho Gordo for Snowcap beans, placed November 23, 2017 received 12/4/2017

also included Marcella Beans, Vaquero Beans and white corn pasole.

• Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 month later...

I've just received my Instant Pot and have successfully steamed water. 😛

Now I'm thinking of doing some of the beans from the last Rancho Gordo club shipment in the Instant Pot.

Could I please have some instructions about how to long to cook them? Soak first, right?

And what to cook them with?

• Like 1