• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heirloom Beans by Rancho Gordo (Steve_Sando)

NancyH

53 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I am so bummed.    This morning i checked out CBS Sunday Morning and caught the teaser about the day's topics.    Rancho Gordo was last to be mentioned and last on the day's menu" so I guessed that it would be last of the 5 features.  Since I can't abide Jane Pauley, I switched back to ABC, planning to return around quarter to the hour.   And, damn, if they hadn't already aired the segment with Rancho.    Didn't enhance my love of Pauley or CBS Sunday Morning.   

YouTube is your friend. Bet you can find it there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

That little interview was very sweet, thanks to whoever posted it.

In case you have never tried the Domingo Rojo bean they are back in stock at RG. They make the best Red Beans and Rice ever. Just saying!

And Steve, here's my plea (again!) The situation with Rattlesnake beans is getting dire. They are disappearing from the planet. My only two sources for them became one, and now it's none. Maybe they are a good candidate for the Xoxoc project? 

• Like 2

On 11/21/2020 at 5:52 AM, weinoo said:

Oooooh...

IMG_2841.thumb.JPG.6ea160eaadb0965e1501cdeb1359634c.JPG

Bean club!

According to the CBS Sunday Morning story that they did on Steve, there are 11,000 people who are members of the Rancho Gordo Bean Club. And there are 11,000 people on the waiting list to join the Rancho Gordo Bean Club.

Consider yourselves lucky if you are a member! :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 5 months later...
21 minutes ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

We just returned from the coast of Nayarit, where they sell a yellow bean called Azufado. Anybody heard of it? Nice bean, cooks up creamy and tasty. The harvest had just finished and there were signs all over offering it for sale. I haven't seen it anywhere else.

We received Azufrado beans in a RG bean club shipment, Q3, 2018.  In the newsletter, Steve said that he first came upon these beans, prior to starting Rancho Gordo, on vacation on the coast of Nayarit.  He also said that he thought they were very closely related to Italian Zolfino beans. At the time, he said they were a bean club exclusive and I don't think I've seen them listed for sale on the website.  

• Like 3

I guess the only way to get Azufrado (I misspelled it) beans is to go to the coast of Nayarit right now. We have been there at most times of the year (not summer--too hot) and have watched the progression of crops being harvested, the fields cultivated, and then replanted with the next crop. Watermelon was the last crop this spring, and the fields were being prepared for corn and probably after that for beans. Quite the agricultural region. Glad to hear that Steve found them the same way we did! And oh, what watermelons! They were everywhere alongside the roads, piled up for sale, and in trucks being hauled away.

• Like 6

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

• 3 weeks later...

Spoiler alert. Bean club shipment est arrivé... 

IMG_4158.thumb.jpeg.61c29070740760dd5dba08fd3c3f591a.jpeg

Two varieties I've never had before.  And the dreaded quinoa. But this is of great interest...

IMG_4130.thumb.jpeg.c0c28cbdd1acfa8d9f525d71152fa7d5.jpeg

They look like giant peppercorns.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I bought some Alubia Blanca in my last purchase. 

Boiled them with just onion and garlic.

Reserved half for barbecued beans.

For the other half, I sautéed onion and garlic in a little olive oil.

Added beans, chopped parsley, rosemary, lemon juice and a little lemon zest with some salt and a more olive oil into the food processor. 

Served with crostini and veggies. Pretty good.

• Like 3

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

I gotta start eating more beans.  And quinoa.

Leftover, leftover beans on the menu for tonight.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

I don't think I've ever eaten quinoa........

It's okay.  Not something i hate. I'm pretty finicky, and I can eat it.  If you decide to try it, before you cook it, rinse it then rinse it some more and when you think you've rinsed it enough rinse it some more.  

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Chimayo Joe said:

It's okay.  Not something i hate. I'm pretty finicky, and I can eat it.  If you decide to try it, before you cook it, rinse it then rinse it some more and when you think you've rinsed it enough rinse it some more.  

Thank you!  

I've been looking at a recipe that like a greek salad only with quinoa....I have a feeling that I want something with a LOT of flavor to go with it.  Not sure Ronnie will like it.

Alubia blanco are perhaps my favorite RG bean. I try to keep two bags on hand at all times. Because you never know when you'll need to turn out a pot of Boston baked beans, or just a plain ol' pot of white beans, hamhock and cornbread. 

As for quinoa -- I like it well enough, when I think about it in time to prep it. It is not a quick meal. As @Chimayo Joe said, rinse the lving hell out of it; I have also soaked it for 30 minutes prior to commencing the rinsing. To me, it goes well with acidic elements, so viniagrette dressings with other veggies/meat/fish and use it like you would rice. Although I have had it in a sort of faux bread pudding that wasn't bad. Wish I had the recipe for that.

What I can't do is tell any difference amongst the colors -- white, black, red. So I buy the cheapest. Oh, and I've had good luck pairing it with edamame.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, do the Rancho Gordo beans (packaging) have a harvest date on them? (I've been having challenging times cooking beans and I think it's due to old beans.) Also, has anyone tried the RG midnight black bean lately? If yes, how was it? Finally, looking for a recommendation for a small white bean (cannellini and kidney would be too large). Thanks in advance!

I just finished off a pound of Alubia blanco. Most were done for barbecued beans and some was for a puree with olive oil, garlic, rosemary and lemon juice. Both were outstanding. I still have another pound of them.

I think I've tried the midnight black beans. Everything I've ordered from him has been really, really good.

I don't think they have grown/packaging dates on the package, but freshness has never been an issue.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

1 hour ago, MokaPot said:

Hi guys, do the Rancho Gordo beans (packaging) have a harvest date on them? (I've been having challenging times cooking beans and I think it's due to old beans.) Also, has anyone tried the RG midnight black bean lately? If yes, how was it? Finally, looking for a recommendation for a small white bean (cannellini and kidney would be too large). Thanks in advance!

I cooked up a pound of very old RG midnight black beans last month.  They were fine.  What I find challenging is that some varieties of RG beans cook quickly.  Another variety took four hours in the pressure cooker.  Seriously.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I cooked up a pound of very old RG midnight black beans last month.  They were fine.  What I find challenging is that some varieties of RG beans cook quickly.  Another variety took four hours in the pressure cooker.  Seriously.

Thank you. I had some RG white beans that never did un-harden. And I cooked them for a long, long time (not in a pressure cooker, no salt, no tomato). IIRC, the garbanzos cooked really quickly.

• Like 1