• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heirloom Beans by Rancho Gordo (Steve_Sando)

NancyH

From email from Rancho Gordo

This is what will be included in the Bean Club for May:

Bean Club "B" Shipment Contents:

Good Mother Stallard

Flageolet

Large White Lima

Flor de Mayo

Alubia Blanca

Black Caviar Lentil

Mexican Oregano

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got my bean club box just now!  Very exciting.  So glad to get them.  I know RG is overwhelmed with orders and doing the best they can :)

I need ideas on using the Black Caviar Lentils.  Haven't googled yet but if you guys have thoughts I'd love to hear them.

• Like 1

My box came today as well.  I believe in the last month I have eaten two thirds pound of beans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My box came today as well.  I believe in the last month I have eaten two thirds pound of beans.

LOL!

I feel blessed that we got them, though.  A little peace of mind knowing they last a while in the pantry.  For me, at least :) 

• Like 2

Shelby, I like this soup with the black lentils (usually I use black Beluga, except when I have RG Black Caviar).  And I use whichever green is on hand.  Finally.  I use a lot of sausage:

https://smittenkitchen.com/2013/01/lentil-soup-with-sausage-chard-and-garlic/

I don't think the black caviar lentils have a particularly distinctive taste; it's their texture that stands out.  I REALIZE THAT OTHERS MILEAGE MAY VARY.  My point is, it subs in nicely wherever you want a lentil to stay relatively firm.  <cough>, salad.  

• Thanks 1

@Shelby this is strictly free association because of the name, since I haven't tried the black caviar beans. Would they work in cowboy caviar?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 hours ago, Shelby said:

Got my bean club box just now!  Very exciting.  So glad to get them.  I know RG is overwhelmed with orders and doing the best they can :)

I need ideas on using the Black Caviar Lentils.  Haven't googled yet but if you guys have thoughts I'd love to hear them.

The little black lentils are really nice in salads because they hold their shape so nicely. This one can be adjusted to whatever is in your fridge/pantry.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Since FIFO has obviously not been working here, I switched to LIFO.  Last night was a pot of Flor de Mayo, and good they were too.  (The mayo was Kewpie.)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

LIFO is the essential tool to make your last bag of RG beans be a little more like those you are used to getting from the grocery store.  That last extended aging step makes all the difference!

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Got my bean club box today.  I just love the anticipation.  I won't ruin it for others, but there was an addition to my box that is SO COOL.  I can't wait to talk about it.

Oh, you mean the...

Not saying either.

• Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Yes!  I got mine a few days ago.  I gotta start eating more beans....  I'm excited about the chocolate ones.  AND I hope and pray that the black eyed peas are SUPER lucky.  We all need it!

Do we ever!  Description says they don't taste chocolatey, but they look chocolatey.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Yes!  I got mine a few days ago.  I gotta start eating more beans....  I'm excited about the chocolate ones.  AND I hope and pray that the black eyed peas are SUPER lucky.  We all need it!

Don't forget the symbolic greens to go with! 

• Like 2

I am so bummed.    This morning i checked out CBS Sunday Morning and caught the teaser about the day's topics.    Rancho Gordo was last to be mentioned and last on the day's menu" so I guessed that it would be last of the 5 features.  Since I can't abide Jane Pauley, I switched back to ABC, planning to return around quarter to the hour.   And, damn, if they hadn't already aired the segment with Rancho.    Didn't enhance my love of Pauley or CBS Sunday Morning.   

eGullet member #80.