• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heirloom Beans by Rancho Gordo (Steve_Sando)

NancyH

17 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I've just received my Instant Pot and have successfully steamed water. 😛

Now I'm thinking of doing some of the beans from the last Rancho Gordo club shipment in the Instant Pot.

Could I please have some instructions about how to long to cook them? Soak first, right?

And what to cook them with?

You can find various spreadsheets with suggested Instant Pot cooking times for Rancho Gordo beans, soaked or unsoaked.  Here is one:Rancho Gordo Bean Cooking Times.pdf

I am not a huge fan of using the IP for RG beans but it can be a timesaver.  I'd recommend going with a shorter time than indicated, then after the pressure is released, put them on sauté to simmer until they have finished cooking to your liking. 

I routinely cook most RG beans without soaking but the bigger beans do benefit from a soak for more even cooking. 

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "And what to cook them with?" but unless a recipe specifies otherwise, I add a couple of cloves of garlic, smashed, 1 bay leaf and 3 de arbol chiles to a pound of beans. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Has anyone received their bean club shipment?  I got an email on the 22nd saying they charged me for it, but I haven't gotten an email saying it's shipped.

I got that email also but haven't gotten an actual shipping notification yet.  Over on the Facebook bean club group, Steve said that they started shipping last Friday and expected that it would take them a full week to get everything shipped.  He said to hang tight until after 1/31 before  contacting them if you haven't received your shipping notice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, blue_dolphin said:

I got that email also but haven't gotten an actual shipping notification yet.  Over on the Facebook bean club group, Steve said that they started shipping last Friday and expected that it would take them a full week to get everything shipped.  He said to hang tight until after 1/31 before  contacting them if you haven't received your shipping notice. 

Ah ha!  Thank you so much for the info.  I was thinking about calling tomorrow but I'll hold off now :) .  Sigh.  You really miss out at times when you refuse to Facebook lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I got mine in NYC on Monday; but I'm now splitting the subscription with a friend, so I passed it on unopened. 

I have at least 10 pounds of beans in my cupboard as I sit here; that, combined with me wanting to throw some of my consumption/support toward my local bean growers, is why I thought it made sense to start sharing the bounty. 

Still -- sigh.  I have FOMO, bad.  According to Facebook, there is a bean in that box that I'd KILL to try. 

<deepbreaths> It's gonna be fine, just fine.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

We got ours two days ago and I haven't even had a chance to open the box yet!

Clearly you were were not the one unwrapping Christmas gifts as the parents slept! 

• Haha 6

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have yet to use one bean from the last box.

When can I come to visit with my little plastic containers?   How does last weekend of Feb sound?  I am only half kidding.  About containers, not about visiting.  Son and DIL are buying a house in Metuchen...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, chefmd said:

When can I come to visit with my little plastic containers?   How does last weekend of Feb sound?  I am only half kidding.  About containers, not about visiting.  Son and DIL are buying a house in Metuchen...

Would love to see you!  I'm scheduled to work on the 29th but I could probably get off.  Or the first should be OK.  Bring some bags.  My email tells me the beans have been delivered.  I'm afraid to open the door.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Would love to see you!  I'm scheduled to work on the 29th but I could probably get off.  Or the first should be OK.  Bring some bags.  My email tells me the beans have been delivered.  I'm afraid to open the door.

March 1st sounds great!  I will PM you once it is certain.  And please open the door:)

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2020 at 2:29 PM, Shelby said:

Has anyone received their bean club shipment?  I got an email on the 22nd saying they charged me for it, but I haven't gotten an email saying it's shipped.

Bean Club shipping update from Steve via Facebook;

Shipping Update: Due to rain this week and the best-laid plans, etc, we are running two days behind. We had hoped to have the last of the Bean Club boxes out today but shipping is working on Saturday and they tell me last of the boxes will go out on Monday. 
I am so sorry to deliver this news. I would yell at the crew packing but they are working overtime and know it wouldn't help much. 
We have a few logistical kinks to work out, clearly, and we'll have them running smoothly before the next delivery. 
Again, I apologize to those affected. I know it's a disappointment. - Steve

Me?  I’ll be happy with my beans whenever!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In recently perusing my RG bean selection in the pantry, I see I still have half a bag of hominy. This, obviously, is an indication I need to make posole. With thanks yet again to @Chris Amirault, who probably 10 years ago posted his mother-in-law's posole recipe and introduced me to that marvelous dish in the best way possible.

I also see I have a decided preference for white beans as opposed to brown ones. I do have a bag of small red beans, as well as some gen-yoo-ine Cajun andouille sausage in the freezer, against the next episode of red beans and rice,  and a bag of black ones for the next time I want to do Cuban black bean soup. Other than that, one bag of cranberry beans, one of Yellow Indian Woman, two Marcellas, a bag of cassoulet beans, and a bag of those small white ones.

Who knew I would be a bean racist. Sigh. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

8 hours ago, chefmd said:

March 1st sounds great!  I will PM you once it is certain.  And please open the door:)

"If someone is trying to do something nice for you, it's best to just let them finish.

Pretend that you burn your finger and be like, 'Oh no! My finger!  Good thing you're...a...doctor?'"

Hannah Hart, My Drunk Kitchen

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, weinoo said:

The black beans in this current shipment are beautiful to behold.

My cupboard is ready for the apocalypse.

At last count I have over thirty pounds of beans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Has anyone tried cooking Rancho Gordo Spelt (Farro Grande) in the Instant Pot?

The regular cooking method is boil for five minutes, then reduce to a simmer for 30-50 minutes, which seems like it will require planning.

I'm sorry if this is in the incorrect thread.

Joe Yonan had a nice article about beans -- an excerpt from his soon-to-be released book, actually -- in the Washington Post yesterday, in which he gives a shout-out to RG.

For far too long, beans have had something of a fusty reputation in the United States. But over the past few years, thanks partly to a growing interest in plant-based cooking and an awareness of the impacts of our dietary choices on the planet, beans have become hipper than ever. Also playing a role: the growing realization that beans have deep roots and are part of the culinary fabric of nations around the world.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer