• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Too many beans. What a great problem to have! 

The Bean Club isn't for everyone. You do get a few exclusives and maybe a little more attention but "a la carte" makes more sense for many people. 

The current club ends up being 1/2 a pound a week. A lot of Bean Club people order more than that. It really is for the fanatic, in the best sense. 

Our problem is that we're a relatively small company. After this holiday season and then the Bean Club plus a lot of press out of the blue, another model isn't practical for the foreseeable future. We just expanded to 8,500 ,members (from 5,000) and we thought that would be that. It sold out in a matter of days. We have well over 5,000 on the waiting list and a very low "churn" rate. It's not for everybody but it seems to be great for those that love it. 

Remember, we have dozens and dozens of the same beans available on the website for you to get as you like. 

Just today Evan Kleiman on KCRW's Good Food did this:
<https://www.kcrw.com/culture/shows/good-food/mcdonalds-in-black-america-and-cool-beans/food-nerd-alert-beans-are-trending>

I will tell you, after 19 years of pushing and working hard, I will never get used to this recognition. It's surreal and wonderful and I am old enough to understand that not everyone gets to work and and be rewarded. I am one lucky fellow. 

rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

The Bean Club isn't for everyone. You do get a few exclusives and maybe a little more attention but "a la carte" makes more sense for many people. 

The current club ends up being 1/2 a pound a week. A lot of Bean Club people order more than that. It really is for the fanatic, in the best sense. 

Our problem is that we're a relatively small company. After this holiday season and then the Bean Club plus a lot of press out of the blue, another model isn't practical for the foreseeable future. We just expanded to 8,500 ,members (from 5,000) and we thought that would be that. It sold out in a matter of days. We have well over 5,000 on the waiting list and a very low "churn" rate. It's not for everybody but it seems to be great for those that love it. 

Remwmber, we have dozens and dozens of the same beans available on the website for you to get as you like. 

<https://www.kcrw.com/culture/shows/good-food/mcdonalds-in-black-america-and-cool-beans/food-nerd-alert-beans-are-trending>

I will tell, after 19 years of pushing and working hard, I will never get used to this recognition. It's surreal and wonderful and I am old enough to understand that not everyone gets to work and and be rewarded. I am one lucky fellow. 

rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

The Bean Club isn't for everyone. You do get a few exclusives and maybe a little more attention but "a la carte" makes more sense for nmany people. 

Our problem is that we're a relatively small company. After this holiday season and then the Bean Club plus a lot of press out of the blue, another model isn't practical for the foreseeable future. We just expanded to 8,500 ,members (from 5,000) and we thought that would be that. It sold out in a matter of days. We have well over 5,000 on the waiting list and a very low "churn" rate. It's not for everybody for it seems to be great for those that love it. 

Remwmber, we have dozens and dozens of the same beans available on the website for you to get as you like. 

I will tell, after 19 years of pushing and working hard, I will never get used to this recognition. It's surreal and wonderful and I am old enough to understand that not everyone gets to work and and be rewarded. I am one lucky fellow.