• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great British Roast Potato Cook Off

Tonyfinch

It was a privilege to partake of Sam's first apple crumble -lovely crunchy crumble topping suffused with almonds and soft not over sweetened local Kentish apples-with custard and washed down by Quinta De Noval's 10 Year Old Tawny, it was a fitting climax to an amazingly traditional Engish Sunday Lunch at its very best.

You couldn't get better in a restaurant but Sam did put in a lot of hard work,whereas all I had to do was turn up,drink champagne and roast a few potatoes (which were brilliant by the way).

I thought of you doing the washing up this morning Sam-and smiled.

The methods varied only in details. We both cut our potatoes into chunks which would yield two or three good bites.

We both parboiled and shook to rough up the edges. I scraped mine additionally with a fork.

I added salt and pepper. Sam just salt. At times I grate some nutmeg on to mine but didn't this time.

I got my oil smoking hot on top of the stove,so I needed a tin which could take a direct flame. You can't skimp on the initial amount of oil, even though its not all absorbed you need a goodly amount for basting. You could always recycle it if you wanted.

Sam heated her goose fat in the oven. The obvious factor in successful roasties is to get the oil/fat smoking hot before adding the spuds. This ensured crispiness and crunchiness and no greasiness.

They need about 45mins to an hours cooking medium-hot heat with a couple of bastes along the way. It's important to baste quickly and not give the temperature a chance to fall. A turn up blast of heat at the end for about 10 mins.crisps them up nicely.

The olive oil potatoes had a darker finish and a thicker crunchier crust. The goose fat babies were more evenly golden with a thinner crust. Whereas the olive oil imparts a more or less neutral flavour at the end, the goose fat clearly adds its own taste dimension to the finished product,so which you prefer will depend on whether you like that taste or prefer them without it.

• 2 years later...