• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gumbo with pureed vegetables?

Kent Wang

Is it acceptable to traditionally minded folks to puree the vegetables in a gumbo? That is, you cook with the trinity but then take them out, puree, and add back into the soup?

There are some restaurants here in Austin that do this. I must say that I rather dislike it as I enjoy the texture of unmolested vegetables.

In most traditional south LA gumbos, the chopped, uncooked veggies/aromatics are added to the hot roux to stop it from cooking/browning any further. Once the veggies are soft, the liquid (stock, water) and main protein (andouille, turkey necks, uncooked chicken, etc) are added to the pot. Thus, removing the veggies to puree isn't really an option.

That said, for every 10 cooks you will find at least 15 gumbo techniques. And restaurant gumbos are filled with chefs' flights of fancy, even in south LA.

Edited by HungryC (log)

In most traditional south LA gumbos, the chopped, uncooked veggies/aromatics are added to the hot roux to stop it from cooking/browning any further.  Once the veggies are soft, the liquid (stock, water) and main protein (andouille, turkey necks, uncooked chicken, etc) is added to the pot.  Thus, removing the veggies to puree isn't really an option.

That said, for every 10 cooks you will find at least 15 gumbo techniques.  And restaurant gumbos are filled with chefs' flights of fancy, even in south LA.

That is how I was taught. Plus, puree would just be too smooth and not "gumbo-y" if you know what I mean.