• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet Potato Muffins

ohmyganache

We've had quite a few people ask if we make Sweet Potato muffins. We don't, but I'm certainly curious. There are local farms that grow yummy sweet potatoes, and it'd be a great fall/winter muffin. Anyone made them? Any suggestions? Recipes?

We were thinking of roasting, mashing, and making something like a zucchini muffin...

Stephen W.

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

Do you make pumpkin spice muffins? You would swap out equal amounts of cooked, cooled, and pureed sweet potato for pumpkin. I also use this method for my sweet potato bread and sweet potato pie.

I roast/bake my pumpkin and sweet potatoes, as opposed to boiling them. It concentrates the flavor of the fruit/potato, and eliminates the need to strain out liquid. I allow them to cool completely before pureeing them, so they steam out completely.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

Here's my recipe:

Sweet Potato Bread/Muffins

1 lb cooked, pureed sweet potato

1 cup vegetable oil (or melted butter)(or 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup butter, melted)

4 eggs

Mix above together.

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

3 cups brown sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice

1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Sift together, then add wet ingredients. Mix thoroughly.

Deposit into muffin pans or deposit into bread pans.

The bread bakes about 1 hour at 300 degrees. The muffins take less time (25 mins approx).

I've made my usual banana chocolate chip muffin but using left over mashed sweet potato that has crushed pineapple and pineapple juice in it so it's closer to the consistency of banana.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I made sweet potato muffins last year, they were decent. I added pecans instead of walnuts.

I found the texture to be a little strange...not denser, but different in some way. I don't exactly remember...it's probably because of the amount of starch in the sweet potatoes. They were good though, lots of flavour.

The recipe I used was fairly similar to chefpeon's I believe, although there might have been a higher ratio of sweet potato to flour. Sorry I can't be more specific, my notebook is at home, but I expect chefpeon's recipe is better tested than mine anyway :raz:

Kate