• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

National bread cook-off

jgm

It was announced in our local newspaper (The Wichita Eagle) this morning that Wichita will be the site for a new bread cook-off next June, sponsored by the Kansas Wheat Commission and King Arthur Flour.

link to the story

Opening night for contest festivities will be June 15, with the actual baking contest to be June 17.

Rules are still being completed, and entry forms aren't yet available. But some things are set. The contest will accept recipes in four categories -- ethnic breads; time-saving and easy breads; rolls; and whole-grain breads. Cooks must certify that their recipes are original and have not been published elsewhere.

The article goes on to say that the recipes must use yeast, making it a "scratch" baking contest, unlike others sponsored by food companies that require the use of processed products.

I'll try to watch for more details and post them here for anyone who may be interested. I live in Wichita, and would love to meet any eGulleters who come to town for this -- or for any reason, actually. If you become a finalist and come to Wichita, I'll be more than happy to help you accommodations, etc. PM me if you have questions or need assistance of any kind.

Oh, the important part: there will be eight finalists. Prizes will be "thousands of dollars" and will include an all-expense-paid trip to the King Arthur Company baking school in Vermont. The KWC is looking for additional sponsors, so I wouldn't be surprised if additional prices become available.

Edited to add: Rules are now available here.

Supposedly, more details will be/are available on the King Arthur Flour website.

Edited by jgm (log)

• 4 months later...

I'm bumping this up for the benefit of anyone who might be interested but didn't see it earlier.

Deadline for entries is February 15.

Contest is in June, and they'll pay for you to come to Wichita, Kansas for the final competition. Tornado season is usually over by then, so have no fear.

I'm not connected with the contest at all, but I do live in the host city. If there's anything I can help any contestants with, I'm at your service.

I'm bumping this up for the benefit of anyone who might be interested but didn't see it earlier.

Deadline for entries is February 15.

Contest is in June, and they'll pay for you to come to Wichita, Kansas for the final competition.  Tornado season is usually over by then, so have no fear.

I'm not connected with the contest at all, but I do live in the host city.  If there's anything I can help any contestants with, I'm at your service.

Thanks! I couldn't get the link at the Wichita paper to work. So, here's the link to the contest announcement on the King Arthur webpage - http://www.kingarthurflour.com/events/2009nfob.html