• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Table Salt - Iodized or Not?

birder53

For normal cooking i use iodized salt while if i cook something traditional in which iodized salt doesn't give good flavor, i use common/natural salt for example in making pickles and barbecue.

Easy Recipes - A place to find and share cooking recipes that are easy to make.

Buy Kitchen Blenders : Online shop to order kitchen blenders for home & commercial use - All brands listed - Some items ship within 24 hrs

Better than that, you might prefer the US National Academy of Sciences reasoning. They set "Estimated Average Requirements" (from radioactive tracer studies) and then derive their RDA advice from that. (It seems that iodine throughput depends on metabolic level - 'energy' - and so to ensure that 98% of the population is covered, they set the recommendation 40% up on the average requirement, then round it off - getting the same 150 micrograms/day for adults.)

Actually, it's even better than that according to the link. They had three studies which indicated three different ranges, and they took the highest set of figures of all of those ranges. So while their average was 97mcg, it seems more likely the real average is somewhat lower, like 60 to 70mcg. This would be more in keeping with the iodine you could get from a normal varied diet.

I also fail to see how the amount of iodine you can absorb is the amount of iodine you need, but I guess I'm just not a nutritionist.

The Fuzzy Chef

www.fuzzychef.org

Think globally, eat globally

San Francisco