• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your favorite season for dining

roosterchef21

Fairly self explanatory topic. Which season is your favourite for food and to dine in? I don't mean truffle season, asparagus season etc etc! LOL! I mean Autumn, winter spring or summer? What do you look forward to most in each season? Any restaurants/chef who you think are especially good in each season?

I like summer, simply, where every vegetable and fruit is in their full glory. The glorious peaches and eating outside. I think that Senderens and Loiseau are particularly good in that season. Also Pacaud, can be very impressive with berries, and lobsters too.

Of course many prefer the fall -- mushrooms and game, and the ripe flavours of the last fruits. That is when many chefs express themselves very well but I would put Besson and Briffard forward.

In the winter I think few beat Rostang for the warm and generous food. Savoy is prety good too.

The spring I suppose is a season for the new generation chefs who are not afraid of expressing stingy and bitter -- Bras and Roellinger I would say are spring chefs -- and they have that long winter break from which they awake, just like the nature around them.

That said, I suppose that the response to your question depends a lot on where we are - I remember that seasons were fairly different in Bavaria than they are in the Paris region, and I'm sure the French riviera is different as well.

Fairly self explanatory topic. Which season is your favourite for food and to dine in? I don't mean truffle season, asparagus season etc etc! LOL! I mean Autumn, winter spring or summer? What do you look forward to most in each season? Any restaurants/chef who you think are especially good in each season?

But you *have* to ask things like truffle season, asparagus season, etc. Assuming you can travel any time you want to travel - what do you want to eat - and what kind of weather do you like? On my part - I can barely stand winter in northern Florida - so you're not going to find me in Paris in December (which is probably one reason I've never had a black truffle and the hearty braises I eat then are those I cook at home). On the other hand - I love asparagus - so I timed our trip to Germany last year so we would be there during spargel season (which is almost a national festival as opposed to a vegetable season - I think I had at least 15 different spargel dishes in places ranging from trains to 3 star restaurants). Likewise - I went to Japan during cherry blossom season (because I love spring flowering trees). One year we went to London in the spring in part to eat farm fresh English peas (by the time fresh spring peas get to my local markets from more northern places - they are worse than frozen). We will be going to Paris next week because I also love game - and fall in Paris is game season.

I agree with Julot about things like berries in the summer. I call things like berries and melons the consolations of summer (because the weather where I live is extremely hot and humid and the fruit we get makes up for the bad weather). But I can get great berries at home. I can't get spargel or game or fresh peas or see cherry blossoms!

So the real issue isn't what I - or anyone else here - likes. It's what *you* like and want to see and/or eat.

So - assuming you can travel at various times - what are you most interested in eating? Robyn

After my first game of the year - a colvert at Clocher Pereire and lievre a la royale at Petit Marguery, I was reminded again of how great fall/game season is. And there are still great veggies.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris