• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frying Flavorful Garlic

Shel_B

I love garlic, and eat it almost every day. Lately I've been lightly frying large cloves in EVOO until they get a light brown crust, setting them aside to drain a bit, and then munching on the fried cloves much like candy. It helps that one of the local markets has tons of garlic with large cloves.

Now I'm thinking of flavoring the garlic. I tried adding some fennel seeds to the frying oil, and also some corriander seeds, but neither imparted much flavor to the garlic. What spices or herbs might be added to the oil that won't burn and which may impart some flavor, even if subtle, to the cloves? Oh, I sprinkled some cloves with a little cayenne - eh! not so great.

... Shel

Many spices will work--including those you've used. The trick is to flavor the oil first, before you add the garlic. To do this bring the oil up to ~180F, no higher, then add the spice(s). Allow to gently cook for 15-20 min (crushing the spices immediately before adding to the oil is helpful). Strain the spices out then add the garlic. Let the garlic sweat several minutes before you increase the heat to finish it.

Edited by klkruger (log)

Kevin

Many spices will work--including those you've used. The trick is to flavor the oil first, before you add the garlic. To do this bring the oil up to ~180F, no higher, then add the spice(s). Allow to gently cook for 15-20 min (crushing the spices immediately before adding to the oil is helpful). Strain the spices out then add the garlic. Let the garlic sweat several minutes before you increase the heat to finish it.

That makes sense. Thanks so much for the suggestion. I'll try it when I make the next batch - probably with the cumin mentioned earlier.

... Shel