• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apples with low pesticides - Maine

Ellie

I am looking for organic or low-pesticide use apple orchards. Not sure why I'm having such a problem finding this info. I have identified one up near Lincolnville. Anything further south or west? Is there a list online somewhere?

Thanks!

I am looking for organic or low-pesticide use apple orchards.  Not sure why I'm having such a problem finding this info.  I have identified one up near Lincolnville.  Anything further south or west?  Is there a list online somewhere?

Thanks!

Try this for starters: http://www.allaboutapples.com/orchard/me.htm

... Shel

The M.O.F.G.A. website has a data query page to find certified farms in all maine counties. You can filter the results by item.

I searched "Apple" in York county and found these guys:

Raven Hill Orchard

255 Ossipee Hill Road

East Waterboro, ME 04030

207-247-4455

They have 30 heirloom varieties of apples. I'd guess it's 45 mins from Portland.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I don't know how much pesticide they use but, for years, I've been getting my winter supply of apples from Biscay Orchards on Biscay Road outside Damariscotta. Their Cortlands are large, tasty, and keep very well. Last year I also bought Macouns, which I really liked. And unpasturized cider that I stick in the freezer. I'm just finishing off the last half gallon of cider that was made October 13, last year, and still very tasty.

Now that I've posted this, I better get down and get my stuff for this year before they sell out! :smile: