• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Powdered apple - uses?

rarerollingobject

Rummaging the specials bin at a gourmet shop today, I came across a small tub of "Organic Dried Powdered Apple". It's not pectin powder, just ground apple and I think meant to be a flavouring as they had different varieties; ground dried banana powder, pineapple etc.

Apart from all those molecular gastronomy foams et al, what uses do you think one could have for this? I need some inspiration!

• 2 weeks later...

Alex Talbot and Aki Kamozawa, the chefs from the Ideas in Food blog, just did an article for Popular Science on freeze-dried foods, and included a recipe for white chocolate apricot bars that calls for freeze-dried apricot powder. You could substitute the apple powder and I'm sure it'd still be good! The recipe is here.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara