• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Organizing Products for a Home Business

Lior

I am not ready to have a storefront, yet, for a few reasons. However, the business is slowly taking off, and I need to figure out how to set up products. For instance, I can get a call in the morning from someone that wants to came and buy chocolates. I don't have a display fridge. Then during the week there can be other

calls, different times, different days of individuals. I have to work out a way to set the choices out and then store them again. Any ideas? Now I have vaacuum packed or sealed boxes packed in the freezer. I usually keep a few boxes of all the choices- mixed in the box, in the fridge, which I pull out and organize on plates, like for a festival. The customer chooses and then I repack! It is easier if it is a large order which I deliver- make, pack and deliver. Do you see the issue? Any ideas? Does anyone have a similar small business?

I am not ready to have a storefront, yet, for a few reasons. However, the business is slowly taking off, and I need to figure out how to set up products. For instance, I can get a call in the morning from someone that wants to came and buy chocolates. I don't have a display fridge. Then during the week there can be other

calls, different times, different days of individuals. I have to work out a way to set the choices out and then store them again. Any ideas? Now I have vaacuum packed or sealed boxes packed in the freezer. I usually keep a few boxes of all the choices- mixed in the box, in the fridge, which I pull out and organize on plates, like for a festival. The customer chooses and then I repack! It is easier if it is a large order which I deliver- make, pack and deliver. Do you see the issue? Any ideas? Does anyone have a similar small business?

I don't know why, but I had this sudden image of the heroine in the movie 'Chocolat' :smile:

All best to you!

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

i might make some "dummy" chocolates (solid chocolate, no filling but decorated like your normal chocolates) which you can display with descriptions of each one.

that way, you can display only the chocolate flavors that you have in stock. if someone wants a taste, you can always get some out for them to taste.

of course, you can have a little brochure made up with photos and descriptions as well (a menu, so to speak) that people can use to choose their chocolates from.

i don't really love the idea of constantly moving the chocolates in and out of the refrigerator. while i'm pretty sure you're using a chocolate refrigerator (or one set to chocolate storing temperatures), all of that in and out can confuse your first-in-first-out order as well as encourage condensation and spoilage.

exactly, however, how else can I do it?? If it is small order- a few boxes, even one box, say, how is it accomplished? Even if I have dummy chocolates, a person comes and wants say 3 boxes of 9-16 bonbons, I have to take them out and show and let her choose and then sell the boxes to her there and then. I do have all on my site, but people want to came over and see and chat and choose... Mostly it is friends or aquaintances.

I have a home based business also. I just have them come into the chocolate room and start sampling. I don't refrigerate my chocolates, so that isn't an issue. When they choose, I pack them right then or if they are in a hurry, I write it down and pack them later. I keep my chocolates in individual drawers and just open them up and select. I have a few boxes ready to go, but like to keep everything fresh, so usually pack as needed.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Thanks for your input! :smile:

First of all, your chocolates are just lovely!! And if I understood correctly, you have 3 large melter/temperer machines?? In your house??! Amazing-lucky you! I think it is ideal to have everything fresh and available at demand.

My problem is that I can't. I have 2 melters-6kg and 2 x3210 temperers. It is still all done basically by the seeding method, and after a few hours the chocolate thickens etc, so production is more of a hassle. In addition, my other problem is that individual small orders are not on large scale yet.

I may have a large order one week of two types of bonbons, and then 3 small individual orders of maybe 6 boxes of 16 bonbons of different types. So I cannot make everything fresh every week, not only time-wise is it not possible but also a lot would get wasted if it weren't frozen or fridged. Not to mention our climate, which is in the 80's at least 6 months a year!

This is the whole problem. It wouldn't all or mostly get bought within a week or two. Perhaps I will get to that point when I am more known and have a more steady clientelle etc. So this is why I need creative ideas on how to deal with the now, while trying to get to the "then"!!

Edited by Lior (log)

Just trying to think "out of the box" here: it doesn't sound like these are "impulse" buys but rather people who know they want chocolates for a reason (dinner party, special occassion, gift etc).

Maybe you could only have an open "store" one or two days a week when orders can be placed and then the people come back in two days to pick up their orders? Doing something along those lines would allow you to control the workflow to some degree at least.

But maybe that doesn't help of people want to come in and then take their chocolate away with them???

It would be great for the organized group of people... Last night, for example, someone called: "Help!! My daughter's draft starts tomorrow and we just thought it would be nice to give her chocolates to munch on after saying good bye and the bus takes her away... can we come over and buy a few boxes now?"

Now I can't say no! So I had to frantically open up the vacuumed chocolates- 10 different kinds as my bag of mixed had mostly finished. I see I have to have a good few mixed bags so that I don't have to open 10!! Live and learn. This happens often. I guess I have to start thinking in terms of a storefront. I just don't have a better way to handle this. Some people just want a mix and don't care what kinds. Others want to choose. The ones who want to choose are even more difficult to handle as I can't prepare the box before they come.

By order only is best but I think it will not work, at least not in this culture- everyone kind of knows each other, expects help from each other, and of course, as everywhere, live hectic lives. If I limit to 2 days, it will probably be ignored. I don't know, maybe I should try it and then lessen the "impulse" to pop over at any time. I must think it through. Gap, thank you very much, very kind to think for me!! :smile:

I say just run it like a seasonal business. people don't neseccarily have to LOOK at the chocolates to make a decision. They could just LOOK at a generic photo of your chocolates.

We have a "menu" of our most popular items, but for the most part, we switch up flavors based on whim and availability of certain ingredients. So you just train your customers that you don't have a set menu, that TODAY we are featuring blah blah blah. Turn it into an asset. If they want a particular flavor, then yes, have them order in advance...

You could accomplish your marketing either by a generic flyer that you could include with their orders, or perhaps a web site as well that you could list your daily flavors. You might consider a few flavors that you usually have in stock, but then also enforce that to guarantee a certain flavor, you have to place an order in advance.

It's a nice way to position yourself as the authority in chocolate. They are buying what YOU think is the best thing which is why you got into chocolate in the first place.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

I like your attitude. I think I am too , what is that word... complying? I do have a site and I also love trying new recipes out and so this could be a great way!! You are right, what I have is what you can get-why apologize etc?

Thanks for that fresh wind!!!  :biggrin:

I definitely agree with Stephanie. I had to change my approach with my customers as well. You need to dictate what goes and how and when, expecially when you don't have a store, like in our case. Good luck to you Llona

Vanessa

• 4 months later...
Thank you! Yes, I must take back control!! Just realizing this makes me feel organizedand ready to prepare for this approach! :smile:

Thanks!

I'm pretty new to the forums (well, brand new, you could say; this is my first comment/post), but this topic came up while I was searching for information on home businesses.

To Lior (or anyone who could answer) - What kind of regulations, if any, did you have to comply with in order to sell this food that you make from your home? I see you're in Israel? So perhaps there are different guidelines?

I've considered setting up an Etsy account and selling certain cookies, etc., but I'm unsure of the legal obligations I'd need to fulfill first, if any. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you! Yes, I must take back control!! Just realizing this makes me feel organizedand ready to prepare for this approach! :smile:

Thanks!

I'm pretty new to the forums (well, brand new, you could say; this is my first comment/post), but this topic came up while I was searching for information on home businesses.

To Lior (or anyone who could answer) - What kind of regulations, if any, did you have to comply with in order to sell this food that you make from your home? I see you're in Israel? So perhaps there are different guidelines?

I've considered setting up an Etsy account and selling certain cookies, etc., but I'm unsure of the legal obligations I'd need to fulfill first, if any. Any advice would be appreciated!

Each country will have different regulations. Are you in the United States? Here in the U.S., each STATE (and/or County) has different requirements.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Here there are regulations of course. They are quite strict and for a small business,impossible to fulfill. I guess the best route would be to open a small cafe house. For a chocoalte business oneis required those regulations of a small food factory- fire regulations, a few sinls, a storage room. a bathroom, it goes on and on. Very few have this but there are some. Mostly a blind eye is turned when it comes to chocolate. Most of my business is by word of mouth-everybody knowing eveybody etc. But ideally I should have a board of health department certificate...

In many US states there are home-based food business laws. I can't remember what its called, but in some states you can do some food processing up to a certain amount. I found a post at lawguru.com that said it can't be done, but I do believe this is a state-by-state basis so it might be worth asking a state appropriate question. Or just cut out the middle-lawyer and call your health dept.