• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On the last day of the farmer's market

Tri2Cook

5 kg of smoked elk bones

4 kg of elk stew meat

3 kg of elk striploins

2 kg of elk and wild rice sausages

and some really nice elk tenderloins.

Disclaimer: The numbers may not be exactly accurate and may have been modified to fit the tune (but they're close). :biggrin:

I think I'm going to have fun.

I also bought a ton (blatant exaggeration) of really nice veggies, some jars of gooseberry jam, chokecherry syrup and pickled patty pans and some elk summer sausage. I had to splurge a bit, they won't be back until next summer.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Yeah, I haven't quite decided what I'm doing yet (beyond the obvious stock) but I couldn't pass on them. The vendor said most people want them for their dogs but they have a couple chefs in the town they're from that buy them for use in their restaurants. I also got some really nice ground elk that I forgot to mention in the first post.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On the last day I WAS AT the farmers market (as in today, saturday, and as in 3 farmers markets!!! Here is Chicago I have three farmers markets near my house, within one mile each of my house!!! I love Saturday mornings in Chicago....in the summer that is!):

10 year aged cheddar cheese from Bunkrow Cheese...mmmm this is my favorite aged cheddar - great deal of crunchy crystals!

1 loaf of sourdough bread - Bennisons Bakery

1/2 of a sweet cheese/blueberry swirl coffee cake - my husband will LOVE this!

one package of fresh string cheeses (as in 6 individual string cheeses, all wrapped up together ina single piece of saran wrap). These puppies string SOOO amazingly much...I never realized the TRUE definition of "STRING" cheese until I bought the fresh stuff from the market...I cannot look at supermarket string cheese the same now!

one package of smoked string cheese (similar to the above, but with an intense smoke-y feature to it)

one lil' carton of pears (5 pears)

one baggie of dried asian pears (they are pretty soft, not crunchy) - one lil lunch baggie sized bag is $4.00!!!) Expensive, right? Well - it takes a large amount of pears I was told to dry out a tiny amount of these snackies! They are YUM. SOOO sweet - NOTHING added to them at all - not even sugar...NOTHING!

That is all for todays market. Until Wednesday (when i hit up the green city market - the only wednesday market in the city....and conveniently the closest one to me! About 5 blocks away!)

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

22 1/2 pounds of organic tomatoes - a mix of brandywines (big and dark pink,) valencias (orangy bright ovals,) truffles (slightly like big acorns, deepish red with darker blush,) and beefsteaks (basic red and round.) For $25. By the pound, they are still selling for $3.99!

Some have been oven roasted to intensify the flavor, some have been turned into chutney, some were eaten as salad for dinner, and some await saucing. Really helps in a poor growing year.

stew meat, is that chuck? u gonna make elkburger?

Nope, that's for stews and pies. I bought ground elk too, just forgot to list it in the first post. I've never actually had an elk burger. I've had steaks, roasts, tenderloins and sausages before but this is my first time buying the ground meat.

One ice cream pail full of freshly picked strawberries. Yes, apparently these plants still produce until temps drop wayyy down. The berries varied in size, but they are so fragrant and sweet. :wub:

I also bought a box of ground cherries, sweet bi-coloured corn, red onions, small potatoes, orange "sunrise" cherry tomatoes, several zuchinni, yellow small squat-shapes squash, and green beans.

I used the beans and red onions for our lamb shanks supper tonight. The strawberries were the prize tho'!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Not the last day here in NYC (was yesterday but who's counting :wink: )

heirloom tomatoes

purslane

garlic

ricotta

corn

fingerling potatoes (La Ratte, Austrian)

herbs

eggs

kimchi

plums

peppers

heirloom carrots

mushrooms

chorizo

baby leeks

tomatoes were in last night's dinner and this morning's breakfast, remainder likely tomorrow night's dinner. purslane will be in a potato salad later this week.

part of the fun is figuring out what to do with the stuff.