• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

nearing harvest in Napa & Sonoma?

flicman

I seem to remember last year (or the year before?) there was a lot of talk about the upcoming harvest and I really liked reading those discussions. They got me considering taking a week or so off, heading north to pick grapes or whatever I might be put to use doing somewhere.

I feel like it's got to be nearly time, but I don't really know - maybe I missed it. How is this year's growing season looking?

i drove through sonoma the first weekend in september, and it looked like about half the harvest was already in. we were noticing fruit still hanging on one side of the road, and already harvested on the other. oddly, we saw no evidence of harvest in progress that day...

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

It is as I feared. I have missed it. Or mostly. It's probably for the best anyway because I don't think I could have gotten my act together for a trip tomorrow or even by the weekend. Next year, if I'm as transient as this, I'll plan ahead a little more and maybe be able to do it.

As for harvest, I think a lot of it is done under cover of darkness in the very early morning. Not that you shouldn't have seen some evidence... Ah well.

Just returned from ten days in the area and The Crush is in full swing, probably finished now. I stayed in a beautiful cottage in Glen Ellen and travelled around each day . Weather was quite warm during the day and cool at night. Also took a day trip to see THE Birds Home in Bodega Bay. Visited Schramsberg- tour not worth the cost , Gloria Ferrer- patio worth the trip alone, Mumms- fun and decent sparkling wine.

Spencer, Arrowood, Integra, V Sattui, Sterling ( gondola ) a few in the Anderson Valley, Valley of the Moon winery and another one close by high up on a hill. Also got to spend some time in Sonoma town and saw BottleShock there in the old theater where the producer and director stop by and introduce the film. If you want to stay in a quiet , beautiful spot , let me know and I'll send the link. Calistoga mud baths were fun but very hot. Great time of year to go and not as expensive as I thought it would have been . Talk to the wine servers when they are not busy and you most likely will not have to pay the tasting charge.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!