• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Condensed Milk in Tubes

Anna N

I have just learned that one can purchase condensed milk in tubes! However I have never seen it in any local stores.

Has anyone found this in a Canadian store?

How about in the US as I have a friend who occasionally shops across the border in Buffalo?

I love to make the occasional Vietnamese coffee but hate opening a whole can unless I have plans to use up the rest. A tube would be ideal.

On-line sources don't count as the shipping/customs/etc. would make it prohibitively expensive.

Thanks

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A quick search online showed that Nestle carries condensed milk in tubes in various other countries, so I called Nestle Canada and the woman I spoke with said they no longer carry any condensed milk at all here. She referred me to Smucker's, which carries Eagle Brand in Canada, but there's no evidence of tubes on their site. Based on what I've seen around the web, it looks like some of the major Asian brands (like Longevity) produce tubes, but I've never seen them before. I'll certainly keep an eye out from now on, though! I could definitely find uses for condensed milk in tubes.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

A quick search online showed that Nestle carries condensed milk in tubes in various other countries, so I called Nestle Canada and the woman I spoke with said they no longer carry any condensed milk at all here. She referred me to Smucker's, which carries Eagle Brand in Canada, but there's no evidence of tubes on their site. Based on what I've seen around the web, it looks like some of the major Asian brands (like Longevity) produce tubes, but I've never seen them before. I'll certainly keep an eye out from now on, though! I could definitely find uses for condensed milk in tubes.

WOW - thanks for the research! Isn't it a great idea though? Like tomato paste in tubes! Sometimes a little dab will do ya. :biggrin:

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

WOW - thanks for the research! Isn't it a great idea though? Like tomato paste in tubes! Sometimes a little dab will do ya. :biggrin:

My life changed the day I discovered tomato paste in tubes. :wub:

I did tell Nestle that it's a product I'd like to see. I imagine they won't do anything about that unless there's a sudden surge in interest in this product.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

My life changed the day I discovered tomato paste in tubes. :wub:

I did tell Nestle that it's a product I'd like to see. I imagine they won't do anything about that unless there's a sudden surge in interest in this product.

Maybe eG should start a big write-in campaign.

Have you tried freezing your extra milk? I freeze regular milk, although I've never tried condensed. If it works, you could even freeze it as single use.

I have considered that. Memeber Kerry Beal and I discussed it at length on a recent visit and I will go that route if I have to. I just love the convenience of the stuff in tubes. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

My 2004 eG Blog