• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White truffle oil

iainpb

Be careful when using it as it can hijack the dish. Anthony Bourdain refers to it as the ketchup of the middle classes, which gives some idea of the effect it can have on food and how it can be overused.

In addition to the dishes you have mentioned, I use it in mushroom dishes (particularly porcini) as it complements and intensifies the earthy flavours. Try it with asparagus dishes, goat's cheese, in mashed potato, as a contrast to the sweetness of scallops, or in a flavoured butter for steak (serve it with mushrooms to give the complement). It also goes well with eggs poached, fried and omelettes.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Great suggestions - i will try it with more mushroom dishes, maybe adding a touch to a mushroom duxelle, I like the idea of a little in mashed potato and i think the truffled eggs tomorrow have just become my breakfast!