• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tamarind Restaurant (London)

iainpb

I am visiting this restaurant in October and am planning to order the Shahi Dawat tasting menu, has anyone tried this menu or has anyone visited this restaurant recently?

The food isn't bad, Benares is better. The main issue for me is the place is tatty and tired looking for the money. I was there last week with clients and it did not impress them and I was disappointed to see how it had got grubbier since my last visit. I think Alfred should bail out and take his talent elsewhere.

S

[ disappointed to see how it had got grubbier since my last visit. I think Alfred should bail out and take his talent elsewhere.

How can a michellin rated restaurant allow themselves to get like that? I notice the reviews about this restaurant are really mixed with some people thinking it's awful and some loving it. recently reviews at top table have been favourable. How often are starred places revisted by inspectors, is this yearly or less frequent?

[ disappointed to see how it had got grubbier since my last visit. I think Alfred should bail out and take his talent elsewhere.

How can a michellin rated restaurant allow themselves to get like that? I notice the reviews about this restaurant are really mixed with some people thinking it's awful and some loving it. recently reviews at top table have been favourable. How often are starred places revisted by inspectors, is this yearly or less frequent?

Don't get me wrong, it's not your local curry house! But carpets are scuffed particularly on the stairs and it's run down in general. As to 'allow' well I suppose profit is a driving factor. Top Table's reviews are always favourable about everyone btw, Of course I'm not saying they filter the customer reviews to avoid upsetting clients .They would never do that. Absolutely not. No way.

S