• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Houston Medical Center, Rice village

arriba!

I checked the archives here and everything was from 2005 or so. We will be at Methodist Hospital in October. Anything really good nearby? Can go to Rice Village but probably not every day. We will probably be staying an extra week but will not be ranging very far from the Med Center area. We have been to Benjy's in Rice Village and really liked it, would go back. Any other favorites?

Restaurants in the Rice University/Medical Center area:

Café Rabelais 2442 Times Blvd. 713-520-8841 Excellent French. Opens at 6:00 and fills rapidly. Doesn’t take reservations.

D’Amico’s Italian Market Café 5510 Morningside Drive 713-526-3400 Excellent ravioli and lasagna among standard Italian choices.

Fu’s Garden Restaurant 2539 University Drive @ Kirby 713-520-7422 Good Hunan .

Thai Village 2512 Times Blvd. 713-524-8682 Curries especially tasty.

Cleburne Cafeteria 3606 Bissonnet 713-667-2386 Better version of the Highland Village Cafeteria! One of our favorites in Houston . Closed on Monday. Cash or check only which is the only drawback.

Goode Company Seafood 2621 Westpark Drive 713-523-7154 Gulf Coast fish, shrimp, and gumbo—all top notch selections

Buon Appetito Ristorante 2231 West Holcombe 713-665-4601 Sicilian, veal and fresh pastas are particularly good

Restaurants in the Rice University/Medical Center area:

Café Rabelais      2442 Times Blvd.    713-520-8841    Excellent French. Opens at 6:00 and fills rapidly. Doesn’t take reservations.

D’Amico’s Italian Market Café  5510 Morningside Drive  713-526-3400  Excellent ravioli and lasagna among standard Italian choices.

Fu’s Garden Restaurant  2539 University Drive @ Kirby  713-520-7422    Good Hunan .

Thai Village    2512 Times Blvd.  713-524-8682  Curries especially tasty.

Cleburne Cafeteria  3606 Bissonnet  713-667-2386  Better version of the Highland Village Cafeteria! One of our favorites in Houston . Closed on Monday. Cash or check only which is the only drawback.

Goode Company Seafood  2621 Westpark Drive  713-523-7154    Gulf Coast fish, shrimp, and gumbo—all top notch selections

Buon Appetito Ristorante  2231 West Holcombe  713-665-4601  Sicilian, veal and fresh pastas are particularly good

Ditto on the first two--after Jane began getting her taste back post chemo (MD Anderson) we started to try and make cancer recovery fun!! It worked--real change of pace and world class. These places are really good. We will now try the others! :biggrin::biggrin:

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

Dittos on Istanbul, Frenchy's and Guy's. Might also try Ruggles Bakery in the Village. If you're going as far as Cleburne might also try Harry's on Tuam (breakfast and lunch only). Also Turquoise Grill on Kirby.

I'm wondering when Kahn's is ever going to re-open (and if the new owners/partners fixed what wasn't broken).

Haven't been to Buon Appetito in decades; in fact, I don't think it was called that when I was there. Will have to try that one myself.

Here's some interesting resources I came across:

Rice Village Restaurants This is out of date, the Dimassi's I know has moved out on Kirby across from Reliant Stadium.

Texas Medical Center food court (I haven't eaten at any of these).

Edited by brucesw (log)

Thanks Bruce.  i had found those two sites while searching.  I would love to find an active  local dining forum, wish the Rice Village was had better posts to offer than  "woot woot woot".

Houston Chowhounds is very active with people who know their stuff. Its a Yahoo group, found here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/houstonCH/?v...sec=group&slk=1

If you don't want to join, I can post on your behalf. :)

edited for spelling.

Edited by apronless (log)

Thanks Bruce.  i had found those two sites while searching.  I would love to find an active  local dining forum, wish the Rice Village was had better posts to offer than  "woot woot woot".

Try this:

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/eat002.asp?Z=&A=Me...nter&H=0&N=&S=N

or maybe go to yelp.com

Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who posted suggestions and favorites for me. I was not sure whether to start a new topic thread or just add the my original posting. The hospitalization went very well and prior to going in we enjoyed Kubo and Prego in Rice Village and Raven Grill on Bissonet near the university. After discharge we were not in the Residence Inn that I had hoped to reserve but were in a good location in the Residence Inn on Westpark. Great location, a block away from Goode Co Seafood and the Kirby corridor. Of course, he did not want seafood(which he loves)but insisted on BBQ at Goode's. What a mistake, but it is hard to convince a man he should not eat a brisket sandwich when he has not eaten much in several days!!!

We will be making trips there in the near future and I have copied all suggestions for our return trips.