• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Summer's Last Gasp

snowangel

Sometimes I think about these old pears when I meet or hear a grumpy or loud or curmudgeonly person---they just need a good nap and some sweetening to make them rosy and fit to be in any company.  I hope I don't ever stop thinking that.

I should probably start thinking about my seniors in those terms eh?

We consumed 22 pounds of our tomatoes and a variety of other produce from the garden by having a brunch for friends featuring tomatoes in everything, including a tomato sorbet as a palate cleanser and dessert of tomato cake and tomato ice cream. The tomato ice cream was not favored by our human invitees but our foundling kittten loved the stuff.

My name is Christine, and I'm a BLT-aholic.

Seriously. My mom is getting more tomatos now than she did in August, weird, huh? It's October in Ohio after all. But they keep on coming, and I keep buying bacon and really crisp romaine and good bread. I could eat one everyday for the rest of my life. :wub:

My German shepherd is growing his winter coat, he's happy too because there's sometimes a little bacon grease to mix in his dry food.

See? everybody wins.

Edited by christine007 (log)

---------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Our kids are home for Canadian Thanksgiving and enjoying this "last gasp of summer". The farmer said they had a hard frost this week.

gallery_13838_1102_5078.jpg

They smell like strawberries; they taste like strawberries. :wub:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com