• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candied Angelica

Bernaise

Call this vendor to see if they will have it available soon.

I haven't purchased from them for a couple of years but have purchased it in the past.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've never ever seen it for sale -- it's always been a home canning kinda thing.

What did you need it for, and was the online product up to snuff?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I want t use the candied angelica in shhh (fruitcake). This is in the place of horrible glace cherries. If I have time i will be making my own candied orange and lemon peel. However I will be in Sicily in October and may find lovely candied fruit there....hmmmm

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

I have some candied angelica I bought in Paris . . .

There is only one on-line source. PM me to remind me to look it up if I forget.

I like it chopped fine and added to cannoli with tiny chocolate chips . . .

In Sicily, my dear, you are going to find INCREDIBLE candied fruit. Are you familiar with cassata? Try this day one in Sicily so that you can have it every day. My last day in Sicily we drove around looking for a pasticceria -- I had to have ONE MORE SLICE -- before we went to the airport.

My only regret is that I did not photograph every whole cassata I saw, because the designs are exquisite.

Grab you some candied citron, which you can buy whole and slice any way you want it.

Candied cherries have a checkered past -- they used to be brandied cherries until Prohibition. I've taken to candying my own every summer for use in my fruitcakes. You might want to look into Chukar Cherries, they sell dried cherries of many types you can plump up with a lil bit of simple syrup and approximate a candied cherry.

Tell me/us more about your fruitcake.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

The candied angelica that I received from one of our UK members, who was very kind to send it to me and I don't blame him one bit, had NO taste at all. It was green, but that was it. Personally I wouldn't go to a huge effort to find it, unless the stuff I had was an aberration.

Italian candied citron, now that's another story. As a confirmed citron-detester in the US I was totally blown away by how delicious the Italian stuff is.

Good candied angelica tastes like marshmallow.

The Institute of Culinary Education in New York City had piles of it when I took a cassata class there.

I don't think it's just citron -- many candied fruits suck unless they're quality, even something simple like lemon peel.

I have some candied angelica I bought in Paris . . .

There is only one on-line source.  PM me to remind me to look it up if I forget.

I like it chopped fine and added to cannoli with tiny chocolate chips . . .

In Sicily, my dear, you are going to find INCREDIBLE candied fruit.  Are you familiar with cassata?  Try this day one in Sicily so that you can have it every day.  My last day in Sicily we drove around looking for a pasticceria -- I had to have ONE MORE SLICE -- before we went to the airport.

My only regret is that I did not photograph every whole cassata I saw, because the designs are exquisite. 

Grab you some candied citron, which you can buy whole and slice any way you want it.

Candied cherries have a checkered past -- they used to be brandied cherries until Prohibition.  I've taken to candying my own every summer for use in my fruitcakes.  You might want to look into Chukar Cherries, they sell dried cherries of many types you can plump up with a lil bit of simple syrup and approximate a candied cherry.

Tell me/us more about your fruitcake.

Well many thanks, I will pm you shortly! I am making a fairly traditional rich (light) fruitcake with a few small changes:

Fruits include: dried apricots, pineapple, mango, papaya, cranberries, cherries, pears, prunes and dates.

sultanas, golden raisins, currants

real fantastic peels/citron (cedro) from Sicily

Well toasted walnuts-medium ground (not chunky)

last 70-80% chocolate chunks (heresy I know-but trust me it's great!)

I m making two batches one with nutmeg and mace only, the other with the full dark spice load. Half the batch I am soaking in bourbon and the other in brandy or dark rum (still undecided) anyone want to add an opinion?

I really love the cake base I am using. It takes light brown sugar and honey, gobs of butter and many many eggs.

I'm licking my chops thinking about it.

The angelica, I want to use in the cake, but really it depends of quality and flavour. If it is not great, I may use it decoratively.

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

I've done chocolate in fruitcake -- it's very good! I hope you document your cake, post some pictures, share the recipe!

Did you make the peel yourself? Do you have a trusted peel source?