• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frosting for a Red Bean Paste filled cupcake?

Lisa2k

Hi all, I'm in a little bind. I just came up with a wonderful black sesame cupcake filled with sweet red bean paste. The problem is, I cannot think of a buttercream or whipped ganache topping that will go well with these flavors. I tried a ginger infused swiss meringue, but it just didn't fit. I was thinking maybe coconut, but I want to remain true to the cupcake as far as chinese or korean flavors go. Any ideas would be so appreciated.

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

My new Blog: Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives

"I feel the end approaching. Quick, bring me my dessert, coffee and liqueur."

Anthelme Brillat-Savarin's great aunt Pierette (1755-1826)

~Lisa~

Plain vanilla. Or matcha. All are commonly combined with sesame/red bean flavors in Japanese pastry, and I would think Korean and Chinese pastry too.

If matcha is too Japanese for your Korean/Chinese theme, then another type of tea such as jasmine.

Other ideas are caramel or kokuto (Japanese black sugar). Pear would also match well, as would chestnut. A subtle flavoring of yuzu or other citrus would also punch up the flavor combination.

I would lean away from buttercream for a lighter frosting.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...