• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great food at Berlin's Kadewe store

AlexForbes

Hi,

Kadewe is a high-end department store in Berlin that has an amazing food hall on the 6th floor and, on the 7th floor, several casual restaurants or food shops such as an oyster bar, a Paul Bocuse outpost and a Lenôtre café.

I searched all topics in this forum and found useful info on Kadewe.

gallery_36345_6213_42549.jpg

In '05 Anzu said that "If you're coming from America, then checking out the cheese section with the wide variety of raw milk cheeses will probably be fun. The meat section is also interesting for comparison purposes, as the various preserved hams, sausages, etc. of each region of Germany are each displayed region by region."

In '06 ExpatC said "I have been to Berlin twice in the last month and recently had an oyster orgy at KaDeWe. One little cafe on the 6th had oysters from 6 different European areas."

In '07 SideBurns said "On the second day I went to the absolutely amazing KaDeWe for lunch and ate at the Lenotre pattiserie on the 6th floor, having a Quiche Lorraine and the Chocolate Etoile -both very good. Unfortunately I only ventured up to the 7th floor restaurant after I'd eaten, but it looked like a nice place with good food."

And in '08 Ducky said "KaDeWe has lost some of its market atmosphere - this is true - and is now more like a Fouchon in Paris, but it is still unique. Absolutely extraordinary selection of sausages and meats, cheeses, tinned goods etc. But even more fun in my view are the countless little stands where you can order up a small tapas-like plate of some speciality or other with a glass of champagne. A fine place to have a boozy and very eclectic meal in other words.

Also at Ka De We they pack just about anything for travel as many of their customers are from the east in particular."

I would like to know what restaurants, exactly, apart from Bocuse and the oyster bar, are on the 7th floor - does anyone know? And do they have actual tables and servers, or is it more of a self-serve deal?

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

There are a range of options here up to and including the Restaurant Silberterrasse.

The website is only in German but if you can manage menu level German you should find it informative, even at times inspiring (as you said, the foodhall is amazing).

The food part of the main website is at http://www.kadewe-berlin.de/service_77.php and the less formal buffet restaurant has its own site at

http://www.lebuffet.de/Restaurant.625.0.html

Edited by kerriar (log)

Thanks for the info, Kerriar. But since I couldn't understand a word of the description of the Silberterrasse on the kadewe site, could you pls tell me what kind of restaurant it is? French? German?

Also, for those who might want to know what they serve at the Paul Bocuse mini-restaurant, here

is a sampling of the menu:

"Soup of yellow tomatoes with basil jelly and Camerones

Portion 8,90 Euro

Scampi in currysauce and mustard fruits, with basmati rice

Portion 23,90 Euro

Fillet of the monkfish on cucumber Wasabi - vegetables with marinated cherry tomatoes and dill potatoes

Portion 24,90 Euro

Salt lamb on rucula grains of pearl barley with fennel ratatouille and balsamico juice

Portion 26,90 Euro

Scallops on truffled carrot-celery vagetables, Beurre blanc

Portion 27,90 Euro

Back fillet of Flemish vension with mushrooms of the season and potato celery purée

Portion 29,90 Euro

Heaven and earth with two of the wild duck and duck liver sauce

portion 29,90 Euro

French cheese board

portion 13,95 Euro"

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

Thanks for the info, Kerriar. But since I couldn't understand a word of the description of the Silberterrasse on the kadewe site, could you pls tell me what kind of restaurant it is? French? German?

The key is that little button at the top left of the screen marked "english". :wink:

For those who want a direct link click here.

When I was last at KaDeWe (August 2007) most of the eating places in the food hall were "sit at the counter" type places, with the chefs working on the other side of the counter. The oyster bar was the only one I remember with a few tables as well.

Duh... I totally missed the little button, since Kerriar had said the website was only in German. Sorry about that!  :biggrin:

Me too - it's not that my German is in any great shape but it seems my eyesight is equally suspect.

It's probably not the cheapest spot in town but for a department store it's way out of the ordinary.

• 3 months later...

I was in Berlin for a few weeks this summer. I was on a budget and found that the most delicious cheap meal was to go to KaDeWe and buy bread, charcuterie, and cheese and make my own sandwich. See: obscene sandwich thread.

I didn't know there was a Bocuse restaurant. Darn.

Overall, KaDeWe is amazing. Many of their sections, especially charcuterie and cheese, are vastly superior to anything I've seen in the US. If I lived in Berlin, I would try to live as close as possible to KaDeWe.