• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who in the World Eats Brown Rice?

maggiethecat

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I just eat the dogs.

I had a recent culinary grad working for me at one point, a youngster from mainland China (I don't remember where exactly, but he said it was just a bit north of where the Olympic rowing took place). 

I offered him a taste of pulled pork from my Big Green Egg one night, when he came in. He took it rather suspiciously, but when he tried it his face lit up immediately. "This is kind of like how we cook dog," he said, to the shock of my servers (dog lovers, all). 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, GlorifiedRice said:

Remember the rule with grains, If it smells like CRAYONS, its rancid and its time to toss it!

Keeping whole grains refrigerated or in the freezer and stored in tightly sealed containers (I use Mason jars) prevents rancidity for a very long time.  Koda brown rice is available in 1-lb vacuum sealed packages which also helps to keep the rice fresh.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I love brown rice.  I also love white rice.  There is hardly a savory food item that I do not love.  Unfortunately, some of the restaurant brown rice offerings are not cooked properly, bordering on crunchy.  So I tend to go with white rice when eating out.  

• 2 months later...

Fought with DH for many years to get him to eat any brown rice, no matter how it was cooked or served.  Then we bought a rice cooker.  Now that's all he will eat.  Why?  I have really no idea.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Fought with DH for many years to get him to eat any brown rice, no matter how it was cooked or served.  Then we bought a rice cooker.  Now that's all he will eat.  Why?  I have really no idea.  

I am not a fan of brown rice but I did go through a spell when I tried forcing myself to eat it (and like it).

The rice I prepared in my Zo rice cooker was very much better than any other I'd made.

However, I still don't really like it and finally sort of gave up on that idea.  Pretty much the same method I used with oatmeal (I really tried to like it).

• Like 1

If I'm eating plain rice as a side, or a base for something, I'm good with brown. If I'm cooking a flavored rice (coconut, tamarind, saffron, etc.), I like white.

I like brown in sweet applications, as well. Makes great calas (rice fritters).

In fact, I have yet to find the rice I don't like.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 1 month later...

I thought I didn't like brown rice.  We have always eaten a good amount of white basmati or risotto type rice.  We hadn't eaten brown rice for decades until recently.

Then we joined (or rather we were given a voucher that allowed us a free trial) Hello Fresh.  This company is reviewed elsewhere in eGullet I think, one receives a box with pre-weighed and, to an extent, ready to use ingredients to make a recipe the company has developed.  We don't but from Hello Fresh often but from time to time we give it a go and on one occasion a recipe included brown rice.  It was Tilda brand.  I'm not sure which countries have Tilda but we have always used their basmati which cooks to perfection (in our subjective view) every time.

Trusting to our faith in Tilda we followed the Hello Fresh recipe including the brown rice as directed.  It was delicious.  We cooked it in a dilute chicken stock provided for the purpose.  We have since made it to go with our own recipes and only regret having rejected it so long ago.  We will still use the white rices as above but this makes for a decent alternative that suits our tastes.

Meal boxes like Hello Fresh (not linking because I don't have time to check the rules just now and don't want to upset our moderators) are springing up quite a lot just now.  Today I received another 3 free meals from Gousto.  We will try the first tonight and I note that there is brown rice in the box but on this occasion it is not branded Tilda.  We'll follow the instructions and see how it cooks.

• Like 1

I am not a fan of brown rice (in the past when I made it, it always reminded me of oatmeal, which I didn't want at dinner time).

Then I tried Trader Joe's frozen Brown Rice. It's not as "cereal-ish" as the brown rice I had in the past. It does have some chew to it though it reminds me quite a bit of regular white rice, so I can't say how authentic it is. It's insanely easy to prepare...3 minutes in the microwave to heat it up.

Sure it's a "cheat" because it's not from scratch but at least it's better for me (fiber-wise) than just plain white rice.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

6 hours ago, Toliver said:

Then I tried Trader Joe's frozen Brown Rice.

When I first saw frozen rice I thought it was ridiculous, but I've bought it a handful of times and it is super convenient!  Lazy, yes, but if it gets us eating brown rice ....  I like the TJ's brown rice but wish it wasn't so oily.

• Like 1

I had absolutely forgotten that frozen rice exists!!!  I haven't been into a frozen food store for years, I'm not sure our nearest town still has one but I'm guessing basics like frozen rice might be found in a supermarket.

Many thanks @Toliver and @pastrygirl for reminding me.  I might still prefer my home cooked Tilda rices but will welcome the possibility of having an edible dish in so little time. 

• Like 1