• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

101 Local Things to Taste Before You Die

barolo

The October Vancouver Magazine feature a story on 101 things to taste before you die, all local. In their own words:

The way to find the best things to eat and drink in any city is to consult people with educated palates, intimate knowledge of the food scene, and culinary curiosity. So we asked a couple of dozen of the city’s chefs, critics, purveyors, and food writers to tell us what they recommend to friends: not just obvious highlights on the menus of our best restaurants, but out-of-the-way treats, intriguing ethnic concoctions, and market items most of us would never think to seek out. Here are the best of their suggestions—plus a few of our own.

Here's the link to the story: 101 Things to Taste Before You Die

What would you add to the list?

Cheers,

Anne

My picks are inspired by the pre-dinner snack I'm enjoying at the moment:

Gone Crackers Shallot and Herb crackers

Moonstruck's Ash Ripened Camembert (and this one's perfectly, oozingly ripe)

eta:

Tomatoes from that tomato guy at the market.  (Sorry, forget his name.)

Milan Djordovic of Stoney Paradise farm? I thought he's no longer bringing tomatoes to the market any more * sniff * :sad:

Edited by run2eat (log)

I understood the same about Milan.....but for those of you still yearning for those vine-ripened tomatoes, go to Riley Park Farmers Market and look for the Klipper Farm stand- last week they had a great selection - perhaps 20 different varieties, all vine-ripened. I dropped $41 just on tomatoes......they were fantastic! I've almost had my fill of tomato/bocconcini....almost.

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

-The lemon buttermilk (w blueberries) pie from Savary Island Pie Co.

-Takoyaki from the stand on the third floor of the Aberdeen Centre

-The Seven Stones Cabernet Franc (almost impossible to find in town -- I got some from the winery itself, just outside Osooyos)

-The cassoulet at Cafe de Paris on Denman

-the "riptide" squid at the Fish Market in Dundarave

-the rotello di capone available at Maccio's on Hastings

-the mussels at Chambar

Paul B

Deep fried garlic chicken from Phnom Penh.

I second this one. They must put crack on those wings.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I think Van mag needed more suggestions like those above. The list was all over the map. It should have stayed regional focused to make it's point.

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

• 1 month later...

the link is gone and I had at least 6 things I wanted to try off of it :( dont suppose anyone has the list saved or know how I can contact them there was no info on the site that resembled the page

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

• 2 months later...

I want to thank you so much for posting the list and the follow ups on this thread ...I travel to Canada (mainly Vancouver) at least 6 times a year (I am half Canadian and have family in North Vancouver and in Montreal so it is a coming home of sorts for me) visit, to wander ..eat ..mostly eat and then eat some more

four of us went just recently and used that list to choose things we had not found or tried before and we did a bit of a scavenger hunt ..mostly on foot from our digs but a little bit of bus and train too ..not one time did we need our car

anyway it was quite fun to each choose a few things to find and try

our last thing was the chocolate cake at the Topanga Cafe

ok who would expect a CaliMexican cafe in Vancouver??? the only thing I would go there for however is the cake and yes it is worth it if you love real chocolaty chocolate cake with a perfect frosting to cake ration ..it is a very "American" style cake ..moist...rich ....you could roll like a puppy in it and want more!!!! ..(I saved it for last because I knew I would go back and eat three more pieces if I didnt!) the food is kind of lousy and overpriced for what it is (I should not be so harsh we just had a light lunch since the cake was our destination objective and we had all picked it......the salsa was good the chips were too tiny to really scoop it however!

anyway I think it was fun to have this list and am going to try to find them for other cities I visit ..something's were a bust but others were such a score ..and on the way to find some we found new treasures that have been there for ages and we just never noticed before!

so even after 25 years of visiting this city many times a year there are always wonderful things to find in the Vancouver Richmond area

I love Canada :)

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet