• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Chicago Places To Take A Visiting Chef

orenlund

A friend from culinary school is visiting this week from Vegas. During the days, he's meeting with people about coming to work here, but at night, I plan on showing him some newer Chicago places to help convince him that this the right city for him.

He's led Michelin 1 and 2 star kitchens in Vegas and before that worked at a Mobil 5 star restaurant in Chicago (to keep some of his anonymity, I won't name names), but I don't think fancy dinners will do the trick. I'm thinking more about places like the Violet Hour, Depot American Diner, TAC Quick, and Kuma's Corner- places where cooks would (or should) be eating and drinking.

I don't really have any time to think on this one- his flight get's in Tuesday afternoon and he's only here for 2-3 nights.

If you were thinking about moving here to cook, what places for dinner or drinks that have just come up in the past five (or so) years would convince you to stay?

Right now my list of definites:

Violet Hour

Kuma's

Maybes:

Depot

The Gage

Smoque

That's-A-Burger

Edna's Restaurant

Pastoral

Graham Elliot

Lao Sze Chuan

urbanbelly

Even though we have some truly great Thai food here, he's got the exalted Lotus of Siam in Vegas, so everything would pale in comparison.

Let me know what y'all think. What am I missing? What else should be in the "definite" column? I need help, and quick!

Even though we have some truly great Thai food here, he's got the exalted Lotus of Siam in Vegas, so everything would pale in comparison.

I haven't been to Lotus of Siam, but I get the sense that Chicago's top spots compare favorably. I know there are some discussions to that effect on LTHForum, and there may be here as well.

I was at avenues a little less then a year ago.. The sous chef told me that a new place had opened up.. It was a french place with well priced wine and classic french cuisine.. I havent heard anything about this place since.. I think it might have been called Chateau or something.. Anyone know the name?

Edited by Daniel (log)