• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creating my own food tour of Seattle

Inspired by the two food tours we have in Seattle and by the fact there are a bunch of little restaurants with one or two dishes I want to try, I've been toying with the idea of taking a bunch of my friends and doing my own food tour. This would be basically restaurant hopping and trying one dish from each place. Ideally, we'd try to hit like 6-7 places in the same day.

Has anyone tried this? I think it would only work in casual places. I think sit down restaurants would get pissed at us taking a table and eating one dish and leaving.

So far on my list:

1. Mac and Cheese from the Cheese place in Pike's Place

2. Pirosky Pirosky

3. Clam Chowder from Pike's

4. Sandwich from Paseo

5. Anything from Salumi

6. Dumplings from a place in the U District (friend has the name)

7. Japanese street food place (new restaurant seen in Daily Candy a month ago)

8. Fried Chicken from Ezell's

9. The donut shop in Pike's

10. Ice cream from Molly Moo's in Wallingford

Suggestions?

Edited by gear02 (log)

Inspired by the two food tours we have in Seattle and by the fact there are a bunch of little restaurants with one or two dishes I want to try, I've been toying with the idea of taking a bunch of my friends and doing my own food tour.  This would be basically restaurant hopping and trying one dish from each place.  Ideally, we'd try to hit like 6-7 places in the same day. 

Has anyone tried this?  I think it would only work in casual places.  I think sit down restaurants would get pissed at us taking a table and eating one dish and leaving. 

So far on my list:

1.  Mac and Cheese from the Cheese place in Pike's Place

2.  Pirosky Pirosky

3.  Clam Chowder from Pike's

4.  Sandwich from Paseo

5.  Anything from Salumi

6.  Dumplings from a place in the U District (friend has the name)

7.  Japanese street food place (new restaurant seen in Daily Candy a month ago)

8.  Fried Chicken from Ezell's

9.  The donut shop in Pike's

10. Ice cream from Molly Moo's in Wallingford

Suggestions?

A little something I designed one day....http://thegastrognome.wordpress.com/2008/03/27/seattle-food-tour/

Gnomey

The GastroGnome

(The adventures of a Gnome who does not sit idly on the front lawn of culinary cottages)

Sounds fun! I would probably include the (Fresh) shrimp spring rolls from either Tamarind Tree or Green Leaf, the ones with the crunchy center. You can order them to go. They are my favorite thing to eat in this whole city, I think. Oysters in the bar at Elliot's, especially during happy hour when they are cheap, would be a good addition too. In the bar there's no problem with a quick bite though on busy summer days it can take a while to get your oystes.

I personally don't think Molly Moon's is worth going out of my way for but I'm assuming you've been and like it.

You may want to have a look here. It may be of some help. As far as dumplings go I would add Fu Man in Shoreline, Tacos Asadero on Rainier, Carniceria El Paisano in White Center for tamales and chicharron de carne, Banh Mi at Saigon Deli, Rueben from I Love NY Deli, spring rolls to go from Green Leaf, fried chicken sandwich from Grubz Grill, pretty much anything from Gordo's on Shilshole; grab it and head down to the beach, roast pork sandwich from Boat St Kitchen, Spam Musubi from Hawaiian BBQ, chicharron if they have it from Inay's. I'm assuming that the place with dumplings that you're thinking of on the Ave is Mandarin Chef, across the street is Jack's Tapas, get a scallion pancake - and get just one, it will feed several people, and the lamb and scallion stir fry. Oh and taste and compare the BBQ ork and roast pork between King's BBQ and Kau Kau in the ID. Would you be willing to go to late night lengths?

Rocky

Sounds fun! I would probably include the (Fresh) shrimp spring rolls from either Tamarind Tree or Green Leaf, the ones with the crunchy center. You can order them to go. They are my favorite thing to eat in this whole city, I think. Oysters in the bar at Elliot's, especially during happy hour when they are cheap, would be a good addition too. In the bar there's no problem with a quick bite though on busy summer days it can take a while to get your oystes.

I personally don't think Molly Moon's is worth going out of my way for but I'm assuming you've been and like it.

For happy hour oysters I would actually suggest Shucker's in the Fairmont Olympic.

Rocky

pretty much anything from Gordo's on Shilshole; grab it and head down to the beach,

Rocky

I'm pretty sure Gordo's is closed and the new location of Paseo took over that space.

it has and it's worth going to this Paseo location!

Also be warned, if you try to do a "Rocky" you need to train for that in advance! :laugh:

want to add in cocktails? :cool:

You may want to have a look here.  It may be of some help.  As far as dumplings go I would add Fu Man in Shoreline, Tacos Asadero on Rainier, Carniceria El Paisano in White Center for tamales and chicharron de carne, Banh Mi at Saigon Deli, Rueben from I Love NY Deli, spring rolls to go from Green Leaf, fried chicken sandwich from Grubz Grill, pretty much anything from Gordo's on Shilshole; grab it and head down to the beach, roast pork sandwich from Boat St Kitchen, Spam Musubi from Hawaiian BBQ, chicharron if they have it from Inay's.  I'm assuming that the place with dumplings that you're thinking of on the Ave is Mandarin Chef, across the street is Jack's Tapas, get a scallion pancake - and get just one, it will feed several people, and the lamb and scallion stir fry.  Oh and taste and compare the BBQ ork and roast pork between King's BBQ and Kau Kau in the ID.  Would you be willing to go to late night lengths?

Rocky

When you say chicharron de carne, is that an actual chicharron or some derivative dish?

I came back from NYC and while walking down a street fair, I came across this chicharron vendor. I've been wanting this for 3 years but you really can't find this in the places I've been. If this is an actual chicharron, I'm going there NOW! I only had one bite of it (mostly because I gorged on some of the best BBQ I've ever had and I'm from Texas).

I miss my chicharron :(

You may want to have a look here.  It may be of some help.  As far as dumplings go I would add Fu Man in Shoreline, Tacos Asadero on Rainier, Carniceria El Paisano in White Center for tamales and chicharron de carne, Banh Mi at Saigon Deli, Rueben from I Love NY Deli, spring rolls to go from Green Leaf, fried chicken sandwich from Grubz Grill, pretty much anything from Gordo's on Shilshole; grab it and head down to the beach, roast pork sandwich from Boat St Kitchen, Spam Musubi from Hawaiian BBQ, chicharron if they have it from Inay's.  I'm assuming that the place with dumplings that you're thinking of on the Ave is Mandarin Chef, across the street is Jack's Tapas, get a scallion pancake - and get just one, it will feed several people, and the lamb and scallion stir fry.  Oh and taste and compare the BBQ ork and roast pork between King's BBQ and Kau Kau in the ID.  Would you be willing to go to late night lengths?

Rocky

When you say chicharron de carne, is that an actual chicharron or some derivative dish?

I came back from NYC and while walking down a street fair, I came across this chicharron vendor. I've been wanting this for 3 years but you really can't find this in the places I've been. If this is an actual chicharron, I'm going there NOW! I only had one bite of it (mostly because I gorged on some of the best BBQ I've ever had and I'm from Texas).

I miss my chicharron :(

IIRC, Carneceria El Paisano has 2 types of chicharrón. They have chicharrón de cuero which are the big, puffy sheets of deep fried pork skin like those sold on the streets in Mexico, which are delicious doused with salsa picante and lime and eaten as a snack. They also have chicharrón de carne, as Rocky mentions, which are deep fried pieces of pork meat and fat (maybe pork belly?), a bit like carnitas, but with more fat to meat ratio and lots of crispy goodness. These make really good tacos.

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2