• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toronto Resto suggestions ASAP

gourmande

HELP... I have friends from Michigan who are visiting TO for the first time this coming weekend (Sept. 19-21). They will only be spending two nights (arriving late Friday) and are looking for a memorable dining experience for Saturday, and a great hotel - I know, I know, hotel requests don't fit this forum but I thought I'd mention it anyway...

Anyhow, not being from TO I haven't a clue what to suggest, but knowing them I'm thinking Perigee would be one option as might have been Canoe but they're not open Saturdays.

Can anyone help out here... ASAP? Many, MANY thanks

G

PS: If you can suggest a hotel as well I'd appreciate it... They want luxurious accommodations with secure parking for their vintage sports car. They're first inclination was the Royal York...

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

Sushi Kaji or Hashimoto, although I believe Hashimoto requires booking at least a week in advance, and I haven't been there yet (going on Friday). Otherwise Splendido, Scaramouche or as you say, Canoe, might be good bets. I haven't been to Splendido or Scaramouche but Canoe was pretty good, and the view is lovely. Perigee seems to get very mixed reviews though.

As for hotels, I have only been in the Royal York and to be honest I didn't think it was very nice. Maybe the Park Hyatt, Four Seasons (look hideous from the outside though) or Intercontinental would be preferable, if a little less historic.

Edited by camdan (log)

Great Hotel? The Hazelton, Four Seasons, Soho Metropolitan, etc. Have had good luck at all of them. A little cheaper and still nice - Marriott Bloor-Yorkville, Westin Harbourcastle, the Hilton, The Renaissance

Restaurant wise - Perigee, Splendido, ByMark, Colebourne Lane (if they're adventurous) George, One (in the Hazelton Hotel) Rain for some Asian flair, etc.

BTW, Lunch at Jamie Kennedy wine bar on saturday is a must.

Camdan, GordonCooks (and those who msgd me):

Thank you so much for all your help ... I included your suggestions in the list I compiled and which I've now sent along with weblinks. I'll be seeing them in Bronte Creek on Sunday and can't wait to find out how they made out... I'll let you know when I return.

I should definitely make an effort to get to Toronto and try some of those restaurants. I drive through TO often enough but never seem to have time to stop over!

Thanks again !

G

Hotel: Park Hyatt or Four Seasons in the ultra-chic Yorkville area around Avenue Rd. / Bloor are currently two of the top hotels in Toronto and hot spots every year during the Toronto Film Festival. I say currently because more 5-Star hotels are opening up soon from Trump, Shangri-La, New Four Seasons, and more but these are no good for you today.

Restaurants: Previously mentioned Scaramouche or Splendido are givens and Canoe is very corporate/business ambiance. All 3 are tried and true and uppity if you like that kind of atmosphere. Chef Pat Riley left Perigee a while ago and recent reviews of post-Riley Perigee have been lukewarm. Bymark has gone down and One is more show then substance with overpriced food and wine (sincere apologies to Mark McEwan fans :sad: ).

What has yet been mentioned are some of the newer restaurants to try. Hot right now is Nota Bene at Queen / University started by David Lee (Splendido), Franco Prevedello (Centro) and Yannick Bigour­dan. Another interesting new restaurant is Madeline apparently named after Susur's mother. This restaurant replaced the old Susur at Spadina / Bathurst that closed since he's concentrating on this Manhattan digs. There's not tasting menu like the old Susur but the food is still excellent.

...What has yet been mentioned are some of the newer restaurants... Nota Bene... Madeline ...

Thank you... I'll email these suggestions to them. I've started a second restaurant list... given the options Toronto has to offer it was inevitable! :rolleyes:

G