• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

crystallized ginger

Chocolot

I remember a while back someone was talking about rinsing crystallized ginger and letting it dry before using. I am wondering why you can't just add it to the heated cream when making a ganache? Wouldn't the sugar wash off into the cream, leaving a nice flavor?

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I suspect it would. I always buy the ginger in syrup rather than the sugar coated. When I want it in a ganache, I put it through my garlic press.

I suspect it would.  I always buy the ginger in syrup rather than the sugar coated.  When I want it in a ganache, I put it through my garlic press.

Good idea Kerry!! Where do you buy it in syrup?

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I suspect it would.  I always buy the ginger in syrup rather than the sugar coated.  When I want it in a ganache, I put it through my garlic press.

We have a store close by called the Punjab market. The owners bring in all the things that the european customers want. They sell me whole pails of the australian ginger. It's a beautiful thing.

Of course you could always use Andiesenji's method to make your own ginger, just keep it in the syrup rather than dipping in sugar at the end.

Of course you could always use Andiesenji's method to make your own ginger, just keep it in the syrup rather than dipping in sugar at the end.

I just downloaded the recipe and it seems like a worthy challenge for me to try over the next while. Maybe Ruth and I could share tips on making our own ginger while I am in Utah! :rolleyes:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

After the ginger has been candied, I put it into the dehydrators (I have two of the large Excaliburs) to dry until the surface is just tacky enough to pick up the granulated sugar.

If I am going to dip it in chocolate, I don't coat it with the sugar.

If I am going to use it in confections - as in the ones I sent to New Mexico for the chile fest get together - I put the ginger through a meat grinder using the next-to-the-smallest disc. It is very sticky this way and if shaped and left out to dry for at least 24 hours, gets quite firm and makes an ideal center for chocolates.

Much of the commercial ginger is made with young ginger because it is more tender. I stumbled on the steaming to tenderize the mature ginger (and thus get nice, large slices) several years ago and it has the advantage of retaining all the flavor and "bite."

When the ginger is parboiled, a lot of the flavor is cooked away in the water.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

What time of year is 'young ginger' available?

If you have the space, you can grow your own, grows nicely in pots and in mini greenhouses.

Otherwise it is available at Asian markets at various times depending on the source area. In the southern hemisphere the seasons are reversed - keep this in mind. In equatorial areas it is grown all year.

It is sometimes identified as "stem ginger" ...

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

If you have the space, you can grow your own, grows nicely in pots and in mini greenhouses.

Otherwise it is available at Asian markets at various times depending on the source area.  In the southern hemisphere the seasons are reversed - keep this in mind.  In equatorial areas it is grown all year. 

Hello andiesenji,

Because I will have more time and 'mind' space than usual when we are in Utah, I thought it might be a good time to delve into all those things which often get left behind for the ease of the familiar, including now the candying of ginger.

However there are no Asian markets where I am going and the ginger will be only what is available in a Kroger's. Would you say that I should forget the idea for the time being? Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Otherwise it is available at Asian markets at various times depending on the source area.  In the southern hemisphere the seasons are reversed - keep this in mind.  In equatorial areas it is grown all year. 

Hello andiesenji,

Because I will have more time and 'mind' space than usual when we are in Utah, I thought it might be a good time to delve into all those things which often get left behind for the ease of the familiar, including now the candying of ginger.

However there are no Asian markets where I am going and the ginger will be only what is available in a Kroger's. Would you say that I should forget the idea for the time being? Thanks.

The stuff from Kroger should work just fine.

My recipe/method is specifically for the mature type ginger found in regular markets.

It does have to be plump and smooth on the surface, no evidence of drying or wrinkling.

It is the steaming until the slices are tender (and you must cut across the grain) that is important.

You can steam it for 30 to 40 minutes, take a couple of pieces out of the steam and allow to cook and see how tender it is. The easiest way to do this is to bite on it. If your teeth go right through it with only a little resistance, it is ready to go into the syrup.

At this stage it will be opaque.

After cooking in the syrup for sufficient time for it to be candied all the way through, it will be translucent and ready to drain and dry until just tacky on the surface (may take a few days if you are in a humid climate - a fan helps if you don't have a dehydrator.)

Don't be afraid to try it. Prepare a very small batch to see how it works as it is much easier to "tweak" the small batches if necessary.

I make large batches in a big electric roaster, usually 10 to 15 pounds at a time, but have made batches as small as two cups (approximately).

Other people who have tried it are always amazed at how easy it is, even if you have to cook it on a stove.

I recommend a crock pot because then it does not have to be watched but one friend prepares it in an old electric skillet on the lowest setting and gets good results.

She even uses the same skillet to steam it in a bamboo steamer - the skillet has a high domed lid that just fits over the steamer.

The stuff from Kroger should work just fine.

My recipe/method is specifically for the mature type ginger found in regular markets.

Don't be afraid to try it.  Prepare a very small batch to see how it works as it is much easier to "tweak" the small batches if necessary.

Thanks for the encouragement and the information. I will try it for certain. The air where we are going is very dry and that should help with the drying process.

Last Christmas I made lovely batches of truffles, nougats and other goodies, and chocolate dipped ginger. Guess what went first? :laugh:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Just to show how time can make a difference in candying dried fruits, the same as ginger.

On the left is a batch of glacé apricots that were cooked off and on for 72 hours (in three increasingly concentrated batches of syrup).

The batch on the right was cooked for 36 hours in two batches of syrup.

I started with the same dried apricots (dried them myself) and as you can clearly see, the ones that were cooked longer are translucent all the way through.

The second batch is a nice confection but still opaque. I can hold them at this point and finish them later as long as they are stored in syrup so the surface does not dry.

gallery_17399_60_249610.jpg

Just to show how time can make a difference in candying dried fruits, the same as ginger.

On the left is a batch of glacé apricots that were cooked off and on for 72 hours (in three increasingly concentrated batches of syrup).

I started with the same dried apricots (dried them myself) and as you can clearly see, the ones that were cooked longer are translucent all the way through.

The second batch is a nice confection but still opaque.  I can hold them at this point and finish them later as long as they are stored in syrup so the surface does not dry.

Andie,

Is your glace apricot method posted somewhere?

The second batch is a nice confection but still opaque.  I can hold them at this point and finish them later as long as they are stored in syrup so the surface does not dry.

Andie,

Is your glace apricot method posted somewhere?

No. It's just making up simple syrup in 1:1, 2:1 and 3:1 concentrations and cooking the dried fruits in each one, cooling and draining between sessions, for 24 hours over very low heat (in a crockpot on the lowest setting).

It works with almost any dried fruit, I learned by trial and error.

No.  It's just making up simple syrup in 1:1, 2:1 and 3:1 concentrations and cooking the dried fruits in each one, cooling and draining between sessions, for 24 hours over very low heat (in a crockpot on the lowest setting).

Thanks Andie - I'll be trying that very soon!

While we are on the delicious topic of ginger...I told a friend about this thread and she said that years ago she had made the most wonderful ginger marmelade and then lost the recipe.

She said she has never found another recipe for the ginger marmelade and I said I would enquire. I would happily make this...although my husband wouldn't eat it.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

We have a store close by called the Punjab market. The owners bring in all the things that the european customers want. They sell me whole pails of the australian ginger. It's a beautiful thing.

Is there a link to Andiesenji's method? I'd love to try it.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

[is there a link to Andiesenji's method? I'd love to try it.

I can't do links yet and today is not the day I am going to learn :sad: , but it is in the eG recipe section under 'ginger'.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Is there a link to Andiesenji's method? I'd love to try it.

Clickety HERE for the recipe!

Andie

No.  It's just making up simple syrup in 1:1, 2:1 and 3:1 concentrations and cooking the dried fruits in each one, cooling and draining between sessions, for 24 hours over very low heat (in a crockpot on the lowest setting).

Late question - do you use only non sulfured apricots? Twenty four hours in - I've got black apricots.

Late question - do you use only non sulfured apricots? Twenty four hours in - I've got black apricots.

Yes, I dry my own. I'm allergic to sulfites so avoid any fruits treated with sulfur.

I've always been dissapointed in the quality of candied ginger around here, it's always sulphered, so I never go near it.

I do, however make a white chocolate and ginger truffle, and I use fresh ginger.

Peel the ginger with the back of a spoon and shred it with a microplane. The microplane is great, it reduces ginger to a pulp. No fibers whatsoever. The pulp goes into my cream and is boiled, then into the couveture.

Very easy, very cheap, very good flavour, bragging rights to "fresh ginger".

For me, it's perfect

• 1 month later...

Using Andie's recipe for candied ginger and with some e-mail help from her, I made some candied fresh ginger last week.

Next step was to dip it in chocolate...and plant the leftover nubs to grow my own ginger.

Last step, this morning, was to make hard candies out of the leftover ginger-infused (is it infused? flavored?) syrup. Very very nice. And I feel very, very good about it all.

The most interesting thing is my DH, who doesn't like ginger, wouldn't taste the candied stuff or eat a chocolate-coated piece...except by accident...is eating the hard candies. :wub:

Thanks again, Andie.

Next: gianduja

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question: where would would be the best place to buy a couple of grates like the one in Andie's photo? Nothing like this is available where I am.

Thanks. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.