• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

25 for $25, again

klink, you simply MUST go to the Georgian while they are doing the $25 menu. The pork dish (Sarah Joe's Cracklin' Pork Bellies) is SOOOO up your alley...

Yeah, the Kobe beef was good (the potatoes with it were even better), but the pork was all that AND a bag of corn nuts. I really enjoyed the soup although rumor was the smoked cod was great too.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I just wanted to ask again if anyone would like to join us for dinner at Nell's on Tuesday at 7pm?

Please let me know so I can finalize the reservations.

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

klink, you simply MUST go to the Georgian while they are doing the $25 menu. The pork dish (Sarah Joe's Cracklin' Pork Bellies) is SOOOO up your alley...

I think I know where The Georgian got their pork for those Cracklin' Pork Bellies.

I bought some organic pork link sausages at Madison Market yesterday, made by Sara-Joe's Pork Products. The owners:

Joe & Sara Delong

1601 Delong Rd.

St. John, WA 99171

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

ah, interesting... I also must thank Nightscotsman for those wonderful little treats he handed out to us. MAN those were good. What are they called again?

I can't get over how good those were. They are called cannele. Here's a recent thread all about 'em:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...ST&f=72&t=8090&

I tried for lunch today at Earth & Ocean, but they were full up. So I scampered over to 727 Pine and had a wonderful lunch of the Garlic Spring Soup, Baby Chicken/Mashed Potatoes, and Chocolate Macaron. I also spotted the pastry chef from E&O having lunch at 727.

I want to go back to the Georgian next week (which is the last week, folks!!), because I did not order the Cracklin' Pork Bellies. I have to make up for it. Is anyone interested?

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Everything we had at the Georgian last week was really good. However, I feel I should mention that the service was glacially slow - it was exactly one hour after we were seated before our first courses were served, and well over 30 minutes between courses. It wasn't actually bad service, just don't expect to do anything else that evening.

Glad you liked the cannelés, malarkey. I guess I'm on sort of a mini-crusade to poplularize them. :wink:

I really want to do Earth and Ocean before the month is over. Maybe next week?

Everything we had at the Georgian last week was really good. However, I feel I should mention that the service was glacially slow -

Maybe the reservation clerk should be told that we need to be out of there in time for a 9:00 movie. :biggrin: Actually, why the hell not. :cool:

The plan is for dinner at The Georgian, Wed. 3/26 at 6:30. There are 3 of us so far. Anyone is welcome. Please PM me as soon as possible if you would like to join us so that I can make reservations.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Ate at Brasa last night. I had the pumpkin polenta which was very good and the truffle oil was extremely aromatic. My wife had the mussels, which were also good but a little skimpy on the sauce. Main courses were the petite fillet and a morrocan stew with ono, clams, chorizo, tomatos and saffron potatoes. The petite fillet was so tender, and with a little cabrales on the side was great. The stew was a much larger portion with a thick spiced broth that complimented all the flavors. I think they forgot my chorizo but I forgot to inquire about where it went.

The desserts were both ok, caramel profiteroles and a lemon curd with berries, but definately felt uninspired.

Later this week is Zoe, and next week is Earth and Ocean.

Hal

I really want to do Earth and Ocean before the month is over. Maybe next week?

I'd be into doing Earth & Ocean the last week of the deal. I'm out of town till Monday night, so any night after that is fine by me.

Born Free, Now Expensive

I finally made it to 727 Pine for lunch today. I was expecting a more formal setting/dining room, but where we were seated was a less formal (but still nice) coffee shop area. The booths are very comfortable, though. The restaurant was not very full.

I ordered the Spring Garlic Soup - creamy and very mild and delicious garlic flavor. The garlic shoots give the soup it's appropriate spring green color. Tasty crisp croutons and garlic chips garnished it, along w/ a drizzle of olive oil I think.

My main course was the Troll King Salmon w/ celery root puree & brussle sprout/bacon hash. The salmon was adequate, but not high quality, had a slightly fishy taste, and was slightly overcooked IMHO (med+). It had nice crispy skin, though. Based on the flavor of the salmon, I would not recommend 727 Pine to anyone in search of a good NW salmon dinner (I've had better Salmon at Ivars). Instead I would send them to Flying Fish where the Wild Steelhead I had last week tasted infinitely better and has a nicer (although noiser) setting as well.

I had a taste of my dining companion's Braised & Grilled Baby Chicken with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and thought it was juicy, flavorful and right on.

For dessert, I opted for the sorbet trio of Passion Fruit, Lemon and Grapefruit. Extremely intense flavors and very tart/sour. I liked it. It woke me up.

MsR, Laurie and I are in for Georgian.

Hooo-ray!

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I just finished off my cracklin' pork bellies for breakfast, and these is some fine eatin'. (It's hard to eat cracklin' pork bellies without affecting a lame fake Southern accent, at least while your mouth is full.) They're remarkably tender, with cracked peppercorns, crispy skin and a layer of soft, juicy fat.

The Georgian is great. I remember hearing that they modernized the room recently, but not so you'd notice. You have to run a gauntlet of smokers in the bar to get to the dining room, which has enormous crystal chandeliers and lace curtains and the like. Who doesn't love a good time warp?

Then the food is surprisingly modern. The pork bellies are served with these awesome little cornmeal hush puppies and some green and white asparagus. My starter was a nice little piece of cold-smoked black cod (smoked sablefish! L'chaim!), with a vegetable potsticker (they called it agnolotti, but it wasn't) and grilled cipollini onions. The only disappointment was dessert. I had the white and dark chocolate souffle, which tasted mostly like wheat. I did like how they cracked open the top and drizzled milk chocolate sauce in; I keep meaning to open a restaurant where every course is cracked open and sauced tableside. The people who got cinnamon-sugar donuts with cappuccino semifreddo lucked out.

This was a genuine deal--everything was on the regular menu and it would have come out well over $40. Oh, and they know how to make a French 75.

I hope Canlis takes part again this fall, because I need another excuse to put on a tie.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Went to Earth and Ocean last night for my birthday. Of the three restaurants I've tried (also Brasa, Zoe) Earth and Ocean was the worst. I use the phrase worst because I don't think any of them were great or really blew my socks off. Brasa and Zoe were both very good, but not so good that I'd ever go back. However Earth and Ocean I though was thoroughly blah. First off, I don't like the decor so people should take the review with that in my consideration. Had the carrot soup, venison stew, and the crackle cherry pop. Everyone else had the poached leek salad, the sea bass, and the chocolate cake thingy.

What was good: Leek salad had a nice combination of flavors. Venison stew was good, though the meat had been cooked a little too long and had become somewhat dry and mealy.

What wasn't good: Carrot soup, it wasn't anything fancy just a Molly Katzen style carrot soup. Sea bass, just didn't really have any flavor at all despite being wrapped in bacon. The lentils it was served upon were undercooked and crunchy.

The waiter hovered for half of the meal. Granted the restaurant wasn't busy, but he must have come to the table 8-10 times to ask if we needed anything, and he reminded us of the specials numerous times. There's a fine line between being attentive and being overbearing and he didn't find the balance.

The food was rushed, they'd brought out our entrees before we'd all even finished our appetizers.

Desserts were nothing to rave about either. Overall I've been quite unimpressed with the desserts that have been served at all three restaurants. The Cherry Pop Tart was better than the chocolate cake so if you're going order that item. My wife said the chocolate cake tasted like undercooked box brownie mix.

My suggestion, take your $25 and head over to Le Pichet.

Hal

I just posted my review of E&O in a separate thread; we were there last night as well. Some of the specifics of my experience were different than yours, but the overall tone is exactly the same. It's a disappointing place.

I was at Earth and Ocean for the $12.50 lunch on Monday (the lunch menu is almost identical to the dinner menu, by the way). I thought the venison stew, though not spectacular, was quite tasty with tender chunks of meat - I also really liked the bacon and dark bread garnish. And I loved the light and creamy carrot soup. I can't remember what the contrasting cream topping it was, but it worked well. I've written about my issues with the E&O desserts in the past (too sweet, overly garnished), but the little fig pastry things were good. Service was prompt and accomodating.

That said, I had a dinner with friends at E&O last month that was fabulous (though a bit more that $25, natch). One of our party at the special of squab stuffed with foie gras and truffles that was just killer, and my entree of braised oxtail "sheppards pie" was richly flavored and deeply satisfying.

General question regarding the 25 for $25:

Do you think the portions are smaller than what you'd normally get at the normal prices?

At Zoe the portions were quite large, but at Brasa the portions seemed small in comparason to what the table next to mine (not the $25) ordered.

Hal

This week, I was working down in Tacoma and therefore on expense...so I decided to take on a couple 25 for $25 dinners.

The first was at Szmania's in Kirkland-

My app was the Hearts of romaine salad with a warm pancetta and goat cheese vinagrette. It was quite nice, but a bit difficult to eat. It was stacked percariously.

My main was the Jagerschnitzel with mushroom sauce, spatezle, and red cabbage. The dish was nice, but not spectacular really. I was a bit let down by the spatezle since I can make better at home...I think that these were a little too thin for my liking and not fried enough. Pretty good, but not great.

The dessert was a sampling of three desserts: An apple streudel w/ caramel sauce that was very nice, but it could have been crisper, A strawberry/rhubarb tartlet that was pretty nice, and a really great rasberry sorbet. The sorbet had great texture and an intense flavor, it was the highlight of dessert.

I had a great beer there that you all gotta try if you haven't already: Spaten Optimator, they have it at Szmania's and also at People's Pub in Ballard.

My second dinner was at 727 Pine.

We went around 5:30 and the place had about 4 other parties in it, which made it look empty. I do not know why this place is empty. We had a great time and had some very nice food.

First off, the dining room is beautiful. I would say it is one of the better rooms in Seattle. It has a cavernous feel, but is not intimidating.

While we were deciding on our menu, the kitchen sent a fun little amuse. It was a yukon gold "potato chip" with creme fraiche, a chive, and caviar. It was a great bite to start the evening. Nice and salty with the smooth creaminess textured against the chip. Good stuff.

Katie had:

The salad: (I forget the detals, but I know it had greens, beets, goat cheese, and a vinagrette) She enjoyed it and complimented the dressing skill of the chef. It is hard to find a properly dressed salad these days.

Halibut with fava beans, clams, and mussels: Nicely cooked halibut, over a light stew of fava beans, clams, mussels, and some kind of broth. The dish smelled wonderful.

Chocolate Macaroon: Great flavor, but a shade hard to cut. We split our desserts, and I thought this was the clear winner. The vanilla ice cream on top was of good quality.

I had:

Sunchoke Soup with crab meat, bacon and truffle oil: Nicely smooth and with a clear message: Smoky, creamy, and salty-sweet. Really great.

Kurobuta Pork: This was a lovely piece of pork that was cooked medium. It was very juicy inside. It was placed over some kind of dark rice or barley. The grain was fabulous, it was almost juicy. Really flavorful. I did think, however that the pork could have used a saucing of some kind to tie everything together.

Sorbet trio: Lemon, passionfruit, and grapefruit sorbet: The lemon was the clear winner of this trio, great texture and a great balance of tart/sweet. The passionfruit was good, but nothing to write home about. The Grapefruit was interesting, it was very tart and did not have much sweetness at all. I was a bit disapointed because it did not go with the rest of the dish. Also because NSM and I made a better grapefruit sorbet. :smile:

During dinner we drank a Baby Piper mini bottle of champagne, it was quite good and better than I had expected. If you remember, this was one of the new mini-bottles that are being marketed to the young upscale party crowd. They also cary POP, which is the same thing. I think that the young upscale party-goers drink them with a straw...we did not.

After dessert, we received another little treat. It was a small little spice cake with a peeled almond in the center. We both thought it was the highlight of dessert.

The service was very good and impressed us, we loved the room, and had enjoyable food. I will be sure to be back.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

General question regarding the 25 for $25:

Do you think the portions are smaller than what you'd normally get at the normal prices? 

At Zoe the portions were quite large, but at Brasa the portions seemed small in comparason to what the table next to mine (not the $25) ordered.

Hal

I think it varies between restaurants. I agree that Brasa's portions were a bit smaller than normal, but I still had plenty to eat and didn't leave hungry. On the other hand, The Georgian's portions were quite generous and didn't seem to vary from the same dishes on the regular menu. Nell's portions were OK, but I thought the entrees themselves weren't very interesting and seemed stingy when compared to their normal menu.