• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

25 for $25, again

Had dinner at Waterfront, Pier 70. They were doing a fair amount of business for early on a Sunday night - blue jeans and sneakers to suits and cocktail dresses. Such a sensual place. Service was almost excellent - glass, silver, and napkin changes - bar was slightly under staffed, so a bit slow/leisurely, which was okay.

Starter choices - seafood chowder, mixed greens or grilled prawns. Had the 5 prawns served with argula/onion salad that was tasty.

Entrees - grilled halibut or salmon, or cioppino. Went for the cioppino - it was almost too spicy for my taste, a bit heavy handed with oregano(?). Chunks of salmon, halibut, and tuna, crab leg and body hunk, two clams, and a mussel served with grilled bread.

Dessert - sorbet, creme brulee, or french chocolate cake. Had the cake - a not quite flourless wedge of dense chocolate served with whipped cream and a light, fresh strawberry sauce. Satisfying.

Wine by the glass $8-11.50, none too exciting, but a big pour of a Sonoma Cab was okay.

Also served bread with caponata. Presented with a hot towel to clean up after the shell wrestling.

According to their menu, they serve a 12 ounce portion of grilled fish - that's big. Not sure if they were serving that for the special or not. All these entree options are priced around $24, so if the portions are sized the same, this deal gives you both the starter and dessert for free. I left very full.

They also have 5-7 pm well drinks priced at $4, and 25% off starters in the bar.

MsRamsey,

To quote myself. Maybe there's another way - no link, since it was on this thread. Perhaps we could start a 25 for $25 March 2003 thread to differentiate this round?

lucky me, i will be in seattle next week for business (expense account, yeah!). i will be staying downtown and will not have a car. is it hard to get a table during 25 for $25? is the $25 menu a good value? i know in new york during restaurant week the prix fixe menus can be disappointing. what are the "don't miss" restaurants these days? thanks for your help!

lucky me, i will be in seattle next week for business (expense account, yeah!).  i will be staying downtown and will not have a car.  is it hard to get a table during 25 for $25?  is the $25 menu a good value?  i know in new york during restaurant week the prix fixe menus can be disappointing.  what are the "don't miss" restaurants these days?  thanks for your help!

You shouldn't have any trouble getting a table at most places with a week to a few days notice - maybe a little longer for weekends depending on the restaurant. All the $25 menus I've had have been very good values, though some are more generous than others. If you look above you can see a few of the ones us Seattleites are interested in. If you go here you can see which restaurants in the downtown area are participating. Depending on where you're staying, they should all be within walking distance, and except for the ones on the east side, the others would be within a short cab ride.

As for other restaurant recommendations, you might want to check out previous threads here and here, as well as many other threads on individual restaurants in the Pacific Northwest Board.

If you haven't noticed it, most of the participating restaurants have their 'Dine Around Seattle' menus posted on their NWsource.com page. If you click the link on the main Dine Around Seattle page, select a restaurant link, and then scroll to the bottom, voila. As we learned tonight, they are, in fact, subject to change. :smile:

Scrat and I went to Andaluca and had what I would say was a middle of the road experience. I had lamb dolmas to start, roast pheasant and a chocolate mousse bombe for dessert. Scrat had tomato, bread soup and a filet with a cabrales crust (was supposed to be on the $25 menu, but wasn't). The only really stellar item was dessert. The soup tasted distinctly Cambell's. The dolmas were very nice. The pheasant was pretty good, but mostly tasted like slightly chewy chicken. The beef was of very pedestrian quality although the crust was good. The chocolate mousse bombe was outrageously good, and quite possibly worth $25 all by itself!

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

The chocolate mousse bombe was outrageously good, and quite possibly worth $25 all by itself!

I'm assuming this was more than just chocolate mousse in a dome shape? Could I impose upon you to describe the composition and what made it so good?

By the way, thanks for writing up your meal. :smile:

The chocolate mousse bombe was outrageously good, and quite possibly worth $25 all by itself!

I'm assuming this was more than just chocolate mousse in a dome shape? Could I impose upon you to describe the composition and what made it so good?

By the way, thanks for writing up your meal. :smile:

Damn, I was afraid I was going to get grilled on this one by our local dessert-master. :biggrin:

First and foremost, the quality of the mousse was exceptional, very rich chocolate flavor. It was, in fact, in a dome shape and had been chilled so that the consistency was quite firm. The outside was thinly coated with some type of chocolate cookie crumbs (I think) and there was a thicker chocolate crust on the bottom composed of said cookie crumbs and I think some pieces of mille feuille (?). Gave it very nice, but subtle crunch. The plate had been drizzled with a good, but simple caramel sauce. The only improvement that I think could have been made would be a dollop of whipped cream. I will say that I have a pretty high 'sweet' tolerance and this dessert may not appeal as much to the "I don't like my desserts too sweet" crowd as it did to me.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

went to Nishino tonight for the $25 menu....it was a winner!

The menu:

Spicy miso soup with mushrooms and clams

Albacore sashimi salad

Choice of:

Black cod marinated in sweet miso, or

Shrimp and vegetable tempura, or

Grilled chicken breast with a balsamic, teriyaki reduction

Ginger ice cream with a chocolate-chocolate chip cookie baked with orange zest

Similar menu this round - there are 4 entrees (the fourth being a baked crab dish) and two desserts (the second being a shiso sorbet).

I had the same dishes as tighe (the cod and the ginger ice cream). Enjoyed it all and was quite full. They offered hot tea and rice gratis as well. The chocolate orange cookie was made by "Roccoco" (?) that I had read about but not tried. It was good, but I think I can make better.

I liked the simple elegance of the room, the very welcoming service, and the interesting mix of diners - from vocal toddlers to old money elders. The fish in the sushi case looked outstanding - the fattiest tuna I've ever seen. And some of the creations looked amazing - rainbow rolls, cones with tempura shrimp, and so on.

If you haven't noticed it, most of the participating restaurants have their 'Dine Around Seattle' menus posted on their NWsource.com page.  If you click the link on the main Dine Around Seattle page, select a restaurant link, and then scroll to the bottom, voila.  As we learned tonight, they are, in fact, subject to change.  :smile:

That is a great link. Thank you.

Ray's Boathouse has an especially large selection and an even larger dessert selection they offer during this time. I'm impressed. Can anyone report on how the food is though?

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

-BRASA-

Twenty Five for $25 menu THIS WEEK (they apparently will change the entrees and dessert every week, but appetizers will remain the same):

APPETIZERS

Curried Mussels, Coconut, Cilantro

Pumpkin Polenta, White Truffle Oil, Reggiano

Wild Salad, Sherry Shallot Vinaigrette With Goat's Cheese or Cabrales

Soup

ENTREES

Roast Suckling Pig, Chorizo, Clams, Paprika, Bay Scented Potato

Ono, Clams, Chorizo, Tomatoes, Saffron Potatoes, Wilted Spinach

Petite Fillet, Haricots Vert, Potato Puree, Bordelaise, Cabrales

Gnocchi, Roasted Tomatoes, Garlic, Thyme, Reggiano

Lamb Curry, House-Made Panir Cheese, Potatoes, Mint Yogurt, Flatbread

DESSERT

Caramel Profiteroles

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

If you haven't noticed it, most of the participating restaurants have their 'Dine Around Seattle' menus posted on their NWsource.com page.  If you click the link on the main Dine Around Seattle page, select a restaurant link, and then scroll to the bottom, voila.  As we learned tonight, they are, in fact, subject to change.  :smile:

That is a great link. Thank you.

What's the deal with the frickin' menus on NWsource.com? They were there, they were gone, they were back and now they're gone again?!?! I wonder if they got too many complaints about restaurants not offering the exact menu that was posted on their page.....

The lamb curry with homeade panir (paneer) is very intriguing!!!!  If I go, I would have a tough time choosing between that and the suckling pig... Gahh!!!

Ben

Ben, I had the suckling pig dish. It's basically a ragout (or similar to paella without the rice) with a heavy paprika sauce. :huh: Too many strong flavors fighting for top billing. The suckling pig itself was very tender, but was overpowered. Tasty yes, but not a cohesive dish. Next!

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

What's the deal with the frickin' menus on NWsource.com?  They were there, they were gone, they were back and now they're gone again?!?!  I wonder if they got too many complaints about restaurants not offering the exact menu that was posted on their page.....

They emailed me back yesterday to apologize for some technical problems with the site displaying the menus over the weekend. They asked for input if there are any more problems with the site, so I emailed them again last night to say the menus weren't showing again.

However, I just checked and the menus are up again right now. :smile:

I am just not seeing them. Where should I be looking? Help?

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I am just not seeing them. Where should I be looking? Help?

After you have clicked into the 25 for $25 site, then click on the name of the restaurant. The menu appears below the review (however a few restaurants like Kaspar's has not posted a menu yet).

The menu appears below the review

Not for me they don't, not for ANY of the restaurants. Oh well.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Maybe you should take the hint! :raz:

OK, so now they're back for me too.....this is freaking me out.

Edited by tighe (log)

For Kathy or anyone who still can't see any of the menu's, below is a link to NW Source site to let them know. It asks things like what browser & operating system you are using, etc., so maybe it will help their programers fix the problem.

Perusing the menus is half the fun of deciding where to go...

Click Here

Thanks for the link, BH. However, if one cannot see it using Windows 98 or 2000, browsing with Mozilla or Internet Explorer, I can only think it's a problem on their end.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

After you have clicked into the 25 for $25 site, then click on the name of the restaurant.  The menu appears below the review (however a few restaurants like Kaspar's has not posted a menu yet).

I've requested a 25 for $25 menu from Kaspar's through their website in anticipation of my upcoming visit. If anyone is interested I'll pass it on if they send me one.

Cheers!

I've got to say, based purely on the posted menus, the Georgian Room has this one locked up:

Starter choices:

Smoked Black Cod

Jerusalem Artichoke and Roasted Garlic Soup

Entrée choices:

Roasted Sea Bass

Sarah Joe's Cracklin' Pork Bellies

American Kobe Beef

Dessert choices:

Coffee and Doughnuts

Black and White Chocolate Souffle

Mmmm.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I've got to say, based purely on the posted menus, the Georgian Room has this one locked up:

Starter choices:

Smoked Black Cod

Jerusalem Artichoke and Roasted Garlic Soup

Entrée choices:

Roasted Sea Bass

Sarah Joe's Cracklin' Pork Bellies

American Kobe Beef

Dessert choices:

Coffee and Doughnuts

Black and White Chocolate Souffle

Mmmm.

I zeroed in on this one too. I'm completely conflicted over the pork bellies vs. the Kobe beef. If only all of life's choices were these types of no-lose situations...

The soup and the souffle are locks...