• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

rosehips?

YPants

Rosa_canina_hips.jpg

they're kinda sorta popular here in sweden, but i'm sure they're not indigenous. they're mostly used to make a sweet soup in which you crumble almond biscuits and whipped cream. i adore them, but i haven't seen them used anywhere - no cooking shows, cook books, e-recipes, anywhere really.

can they be found in the states? have you ever used them?

Here (in the Netherlands) rosehip jelly and jam is readily available and quite popular. I love the flavor of rosehips but I´ve never seen fresh ones for sale... could be one of those things that you only get fresh if you have a garden or know someone with a rosehip bush in their garden!

I've used them to make a rose hip mead! 

sounds awesome, how was it?

i'm gonna try a rosehip parfait. i was thinking i'll make it as a regular berry parfait, but maybe i should increase the measurement of rosehips because of the kinda mild flavor. dunno, trip report to come