• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dim sum in Atlanta

JAZ

I'm thinking about going out for dim sum -- I haven't had any since I moved to Atlanta from San Francisco. I have no idea about any of the places that came up on a Google search. Any suggestions? Do dim sum places here use the cart system exclusively, or can you order off a menu as well?

I'm thinking about going out for dim sum -- I haven't had any since I moved to Atlanta from San Francisco. I have no idea about any of the places that came up on a Google search. Any suggestions? Do dim sum places here use the cart system exclusively, or can you order off a menu as well?

I can't attest to the quality as I haven't been in years but there is a Dim Sum place on Buford on the left just after Chamblee tucker as you are headed intown. I keep thinking it's called Hunan something. They use the cart system and sunday afternoons (lunch) is all you can eat.

I went to Chef liu's recently (also on Buford Hwy.), I went to try their Xiao long bao, I'm a dumpling freak you see. We tried several things and were happy with all of them, including pig tongue. The menu as a whole is not large and has some pretty challenging stuff on it. I give it a big "Authentic" tag. As a side bonus, I love the stare you get from the all asian clientele when you walk in the door. That is usually a good indicator, that and when we went it was 3pm and the place was packed.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

East Pearl in Duluth is usually good. 1810 Liddell Lane Duluth, GA (678) 380-6868 (Google the address, but it's off a little bit. It's basically at the corner of Shackleford Rd. and Liddell Lane in a building that looks like a ski lodge. I-85 to Steve Reynolds, go East. Left on Shackleford, East Pearl will be on your left.)

I think they only have dim sum during the day - but they have it every day. And you're only half a block from the Gwinnett International Farmer's Market, and about 5-10 minutes from Super H Mart if you need to walk off all those calories.

-Greg

Our favorite is the dim sum/BBQ joint in the corner of the Ranch 69 (?) shopping center on Buford Hwy. Uses the cart system and has a huge variety of dishes. Well priced too. And you can get some roast duck or pork to take home!

My favorite place in Atlanta for Dim Sum is China Delight [2390 Chamblee Tucker Rd Chamblee, GA 30341 (770) 986-0898] It is on Chamblee Tucker, just west of Buford Hwy, across from the runway at PDK.

They have dim sum every day, though almost all of my visits have been on weekends.

On weekends, they roll carts around the dining room for sure & you can also request items from the kitchen.

The times I have been during the week, we just ordered off the menu.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I believe China Delight is closed now. Does anyone have other suggestions for Dim Sum?

Do not go to the Happy Valley on Jimmy Carter Blvd in the Oakbrook Shopping Center next to Nam Phuong. It was Gross. It was expensive. I encountered young and old flies buzzing around my food. They did not provide dipping sauces, only soy, mustard, and plum sauces.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.